Acceleration of Book on Incline: Forces & Friction Analysis

In summary, the problem involves a 3.91 kg physics book connected by a string to a 519.0 g coffee cup. The book is pushed up a slope with a speed of 3.99 m/s and the slope is inclined at 21.7°. The coefficients of friction are μs = 0.457 and μk = 0.330. To find the acceleration of the book, the equation F_N_E_T=ma is used and the weight of the book is split into its x and y components. The tension in the string is also taken into account by equating T in both the equations for the book and the coffee mug. The final answer for the acceleration is obtained by solving for a
Vii

Homework Statement

The 3.91 kg physics book shown is connected by a string to a 519.0 g coffee cup. The book is given a push up the slope and released with a speed of 3.99 m/s. The coefficients of friction are μs = 0.457 and μk = 0.330. What is the acceleration of the book if the slope is inclined at 21.7°?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_N_E_T=ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried splitting the equation into two: the book and the coffee mug.

COFFEE MUG:

[tex]F_N_E_T=\vec{F}_g - \vec{F}_T[/tex]
[tex]ma=mg - T[/tex]
[tex]0.519a=(0.519)(9.8)-T[/tex]
[tex]T=5.0862-0.519a[/tex]

BOOK:

I've split weight into its x and y components.

[tex]F_N_E_T = T + W_x - F_k_i_n_e_t_i_c[/tex]
[tex]ma = T + W_x - F_k_i_n_e_t_i_c[/tex]
[tex]3.91a = T + 8.152[/tex]
[tex]T = 3.91a - 8.152[/tex]

Then I equated T and solved for a. But I'm still getting the wrong answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
can you describe how you got the 8.152N?

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure that all units are consistent. It is also important to consider the direction of forces and accelerations, as well as the angles involved in the problem. Additionally, you may want to double check the values for the coefficients of friction and make sure they are correct. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram to visually represent the forces acting on the book and coffee cup.

Related to Acceleration of Book on Incline: Forces & Friction Analysis

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What forces affect the acceleration of a book on an incline?

There are two main forces that affect the acceleration of a book on an incline: the force of gravity pulling the book down the incline, and the force of friction acting against the book's motion. Other factors such as the angle and surface of the incline may also play a role.

4. How does friction affect the acceleration of a book on an incline?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can slow down or prevent acceleration. In the case of a book on an incline, friction between the book and the incline will act against the book's motion down the incline, causing its acceleration to decrease.

5. How can the acceleration of a book on an incline be increased?

The acceleration of a book on an incline can be increased by decreasing the force of friction acting against it. This can be achieved by using a smoother surface for the incline or by reducing the weight of the book. Additionally, increasing the angle of the incline can also increase the acceleration, as long as the force of gravity remains constant.