Tension and acceleration of a sled?

In summary, the problem involves a heavy sled being pulled by two people, with a coefficient of static friction of μs = 0.579 and a kinetic friction coefficient of μk = 0.435. The combined mass of the sled and its load is 336 kg and the ropes are separated by angles φ = 25° and θ = 30.1° with the horizontal. The goal is to determine the minimum rope tension required to get the sled moving, assuming both ropes pull equally hard. To solve this problem, we can first find the force required to move the sled at angle θ, and then divide that force between the two ropes.
TheNeezoMan

Homework Statement

A heavy sled is being pulled by two people as shown in the figure. The coefficient of static friction between the sled and the ground is μs = 0.579, and the kinetic friction coefficient is μk = 0.435. The combined mass of the sled and its load is m = 336 kg. The ropes are separated by an angle φ = 25°, and they make an angle θ = 30.1° with the horizontal. Assuming both ropes pull equally hard, what is the minimum rope tension required to get the sled moving?

Sled Diagram.jpeg

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma (I think...)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, say person 1 exerts tension T1 and person 2 T2, so T1=T2=T ...So they both exert a force of 2T.

Untitled.png

I am not even sure if this diagram is right?
I also think wemust must find Ff,s = μs * Fg

I don't know where to go from here or I if this is where I should even be

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll want to start by seeing what single force applied at angle θ = 30.1° will get the sled moving. After that you can deal with how to divide that force between two ropes with the given angular spread.

Likes TheNeezoMan
If I am going to divide an angle wouldn't it be φ = 25°?

TheNeezoMan said:
If I am going to divide an angle wouldn't it be φ = 25°?
Dealing with φ will come later. Treat this as two separate problems: 1) Find the force required to move the sled if the force is applied to the sled at angle θ; 2) Take the force from (1) and split it between two ropes separated by angle φ.

Likes TheNeezoMan

1. What is tension in relation to a sled?

Tension refers to the pulling force acting on the sled, which is usually created by a rope or cable attached to the sled. It is the force that allows the sled to move forward.

2. How does tension affect the acceleration of a sled?

Tension is one of the factors that can affect the acceleration of a sled. The greater the tension, the greater the force acting on the sled, resulting in a greater acceleration. However, if there is too much tension, it can also cause the sled to tip or become unstable.

3. What other factors can affect the acceleration of a sled?

Besides tension, other factors that can affect the acceleration of a sled include the mass of the sled and the surface it is sliding on. A heavier sled will require more force to accelerate, and a rougher surface will create more friction, slowing down the sled's acceleration.

4. How can we measure the tension on a sled?

The tension on a sled can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The scale should be attached to the rope or cable pulling the sled, and the reading on the scale will indicate the amount of tension being exerted on the sled.

5. How can we increase the tension on a sled?

The tension on a sled can be increased by pulling harder on the rope or cable attached to it. This will increase the force acting on the sled and result in a greater tension. Additionally, using a stiffer or stronger rope or cable can also increase the tension on a sled.