Acceleration of objects connected by pulley on rough inclined plane

In summary: I apologize for my initial mistake in trusting my teacher's remarks without fully understanding the concept. In summary, when dealing with frictional forces, one must be careful in assuming the direction of acceleration and must not rely solely on the magnitude of the acceleration to determine the direction of motion.
songoku
Summary:: Please see the picture below

1613207689275.png

Let say:
##W_1## is weight of ##m_1##
##W_2## is weight of ##m_2##
##f_1## is friction on ##m_1##
##f_2## is friction on ##m_2##

I want to find the acceleration of the system. Since I don't know in which direction they will move, I just assume ##m_1## will move downward, so

$$a=\frac{W_1 \sin \theta_1-W_2 \sin \theta_2 -f_1-f_2}{m_1+m_2}...(1)$$

If the value of ##a## is negative, this means that actually ##m_1## moves upward.

My teacher said the value of the acceleration will be the same, just the direction will be opposite. But when I tried doing it, I didn't reach that conclusion.

If ##m_1## moves upward:
$$a=\frac{W_2 \sin \theta_2-W_1 \sin \theta_1 -f_1-f_2}{m_1+m_2}...(2)$$

Equation (2) is not negative of equation (1)

Where is my mistake? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
My teacher said the value of the acceleration will be the same,
It has to be, if the string doesn't stretch.

songoku said:
Where is my mistake? Thanks
You only need one equation because there is only one acceleration. Combining Equations (1) and (2) makes no sense, because they use different sign conventions. Use (1) or (2).

Likes songoku
I just tried with random number. Let say:
##m_1## = 10 kg
##m_2## = 5 kg
##\theta_1=30^0##
##\theta_2 = 45^0##
##\mu_k=0.1## for both objects

1) I assume ##m_1## moves upwards
Equation for ##m_1##:
$$\Sigma F=m.a$$
$$T-m_1.g \sin \theta_1 - \mu_k . m_1.g \cos \theta_1 = m_1.a$$
$$T=10a+57.546$$

Equation for ##m_2##:
$$\Sigma F=m.a$$
$$m_2.g \sin \theta_2 - T - \mu_k.m_2.g \cos \theta_2 = m_2.a$$
$$34.6836-10a-57.546-31.215=5a$$
$$a=-3.61 ms^{-2}$$

Since the acceleration is negative, ##m_1## actually moves downwards and I redo the working, changing the direction of friction and expecting to get ##a=3.61 ms^{-2}##

2) ##m_1## actually moves downwards
Equation for ##m_1##:
$$\Sigma F = m.a$$
$$m_1 .g \sin \theta_1 - T - \mu_k .m_1 .g \cos \theta_1=m_1.a$$
$$T=40.554 - 10a...(1)$$

Equation for ##m_2##:
$$\Sigma F=m_2.a$$
$$T - m_2.g \sin \theta_2 - \mu_k . m_2.g \cos \theta_2=m_2.a$$
$$40.554 -10a-34.6836-3.4684=5a$$
$$a=0.16~ms^{-2}$$

I do not get 3.61 ms-2, like what I expect when getting the negative acceleration. That's why I think if I get negative value for acceleration, I need to redo all my working, not simply use the same magnitude of acceleration.

Something wrong with my working? Thanks

songoku said:
Where is my mistake?
Your mistake is in undue trust in your teacher's remarks.

When there's a frictional force that could act either way involved, you cannot just suppose the acceleration to be in one direction then, on getting a negative answer, just assume that is the right magnitude but the acceleration has opposite direction from what you supposed.

E.g. consider the case in which the two W sin terms nearly balance and the max frictional forces are enough to hold matters static. Whichever way you suppose it slips you will get a negative answer.

Last edited:
Likes songoku and Lnewqban
songoku said:
If the value of ##a## is negative, this means that actually ##m_1## moves upward.
You could assume that with a velocity, but not with a rate of change, which is what an acceleration is.
Negative rate always means that the value is decreasing.
A negative acceleration always means that the mass is slowing down.

I like to simplify this type of problems as two masses sliding on a horizontal surface, while attached to each other by a string.

F11AC309-868E-4591-AB7A-8BCD7FB1FC51.jpeg

Likes songoku
Thank you very much A.T. , haruspex, Lnewqban

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane?

The acceleration of objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane depends on several factors, including the mass of the objects, the angle of the inclined plane, and the coefficient of friction between the objects and the surface of the inclined plane. This acceleration can be calculated using the equations of motion and taking into account the forces acting on the objects.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley?

The angle of the inclined plane has a direct effect on the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley. As the angle increases, the force of gravity pulling the objects down the plane also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration. However, as the angle approaches 90 degrees, the acceleration decreases as the objects approach a state of equilibrium.

3. What role does friction play in the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane. The coefficient of friction between the objects and the surface of the inclined plane determines the amount of resistance the objects experience, which can affect their acceleration. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a lower acceleration, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a higher acceleration.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect their acceleration on a rough inclined plane?

The mass of the objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane also plays a role in their acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a greater mass will result in a lower acceleration, while a smaller mass will result in a higher acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, it is possible for the acceleration of objects connected by a pulley on a rough inclined plane to be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This can occur if the angle of the inclined plane is steep enough and the coefficient of friction is low enough to overcome the force of gravity pulling the objects down the plane. However, as the angle approaches 90 degrees, the acceleration will approach zero and cannot exceed the acceleration due to gravity.