Acceleration Vector Word Problem

In summary, the famous quarterback Fleet O. Floote is attempting a quarterback draw at 4.6 m/s towards his goal line. Upon impact with a linebacker, their combined final velocity is 3.8 m/s at an angle of +120° from the original direction. The time it took to change direction at impact was 0.20s. Using the appropriate horizontal coordinate system, the average acceleration vector of the quarterback during the tackle can be calculated. However, it seems that the given angle of +120° may be incorrect and could be meant to be 30° instead.
Retweetfire

Homework Statement

Famous quarterback Fleet O. Floote is attempting a quarterback draw by running up the middle toward his goal line at 4.6 m/s. A linebacker hits him squarely, and their combined final velocity is 3.8 m/s at an angle of +120.° from the quarterback's original direction. The time it took to change direction at impact was 0.20s. Choose an appropiate horizontal coordinate system and calculate the average acceleration vector of the quarterback during the tackle.

Homework Equations

a = ΔvΔt
329864.image3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

v1 = 4.6 m/s 90.0°
v2 = 3.7 m/s 120.°

v1x = 0 m/s
v1y = 4.6 m/s

v2x = 3.7 cos 60° = 1.9 m/s
v2y = 3.7 sin 60° = 3.2 m/s

I have this, but I feel that I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please draw a diagram, and show it to us. Thank you.

It seems to me, if the new velocity direction is 120 degrees to the original direction, one of the new components has to be negative.

Hello rf, :welcome:
Retweetfire said:
at an angle of +120.° from the quarterback's original direction
Can you post a sketch and compare with what you (were going to) calculate ? Then complete your attempt ?

BvU said:
Hello rf, :welcome:

Can you post a sketch and compare with what you (were going to) calculate ? Then complete your attempt ?

Attachments

• IMG-20170319-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20170319-WA0020.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 479
That's only at a 30 degree angle to the QBs original velocity. Did they really mean 120 degrees, or did they really mean 30 degrees?

Related to Acceleration Vector Word Problem

1. What is acceleration vector in a word problem?

Acceleration vector in a word problem refers to the representation of acceleration as a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction. It is typically used to describe the rate of change of velocity over time in a specific direction.

2. How do I calculate acceleration vector in a word problem?

To calculate acceleration vector in a word problem, you need to determine the initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), and the change in time (t). Then, use the formula a = (v-u)/t to calculate the acceleration magnitude. Finally, determine the direction of the acceleration vector based on the direction of the initial and final velocities.

3. What are some real-life examples of acceleration vector word problems?

Real-life examples of acceleration vector word problems include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball being thrown and caught, a rocket launching into space, and a person riding a rollercoaster. In each of these scenarios, there is a change in both magnitude and direction of the object's velocity over time, resulting in an acceleration vector.

4. What is the difference between acceleration vector and average acceleration?

The acceleration vector represents the instantaneous acceleration of an object at a specific moment in time, while average acceleration represents the overall change in velocity over a period of time. The acceleration vector takes into account both magnitude and direction, while average acceleration only considers magnitude.

5. How can I use acceleration vector in a word problem to solve for other variables?

In order to use acceleration vector in a word problem to solve for other variables, you can use the basic kinematic equations of motion. These equations involve acceleration, velocity, displacement, and time, and can be rearranged to solve for any of these variables given the others. Additionally, you can also use graphical methods, such as drawing vectors and using trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration vector.