How Do You Calculate the Average Acceleration of an Eraser in a Physics Problem?

In summary, the problem involves an eraser being thrown at a teacher and being hit by a metrestick. The eraser moves horizontally at 8m/s [S] and leaves the stick at 15m/s [N30W]. The contact between the eraser and stick lasts for 0.03s. To find the average acceleration, the equation a=(V1-V2)/t can be used, but since the eraser stops when it hits the stick, two separate equations must be used. By splitting the velocity into vector components, the final answer will be a vector with x and y components. The eraser's motion can be shown on a vector diagram.
nadino1992

Homework Statement

Jordyn throws an eraser at her teacher, it moves horizontally at 8m/s when the teacher smacks it with a metrestick. The eraser leaves the metrestick horizontally at 15 m/s [N30W]. It is in contact with the stick for 0.03s. Determine the average acceleration of the eraser while being hit by the metrestick. Draw a vector diagram showing the motion.

Homework Equations

We were not given specific equations for this question, but since we are given two velocities, time, and are asked for average acceleration, i figured that maybe a=(V1-V2)/t might work.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first i thought that i could use the equation above, and just plug in the given information, but then i figured that the eraser stopped when it hit the stick. So, it would go from 8m/s to 0m/s and then to 15m/s. I then used two equations (both being a=(V1-V2)/t). For the first, i used V1=8m/s and V2=0m/s; for the second, i used V1=0m/s and V2=15m/s. Since we have to find the average acceleration, i thought maybe i could average out both answers from the two equations. I doubt this works though, maybe it does, I'm not sure. It seems too simple. Especially because i don't know if it's right to use the same time for both equations. Also, i have absolutely no idea how this relates to vectors. If i had to add/subtract both vectors then i could have just drawn that, but they're two separate things. Please help and thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
i didn't read your attempt cause I am really sleepy and the paragraph is really big but

you want to say the eraser went from 8m/s to 15m/s in the other direction in .3 seconds.

so use kinematics equation vfinal=vinitial+at, so vfinal=-vinitial+a(t), a=(vfinal+vinitial)/(time). vinitial is the opposite sign of vfinal as it is in the opposite direction. you might have that written down i dunno. don't worry about the instantaneous velocity of the eraser cause it asks for the average acceleration, i confused myself the other day cause i thought another problem implied infinite acceleration by saying something stopped right away

So i completely ignore the fact that it stops and has a velocity of 0m/s while the stick hits it? And for the vector diagram that i draw, do i just just draw 8m/s minus 15m/s[N30W]? Also you said i can just make Vfinal opposite of Vinitial, but they're not in the opposite direction though, one's south and the other is N30W

OH i didn't see the degrees part. you want to split it up into vector components then, where -8=15cos30+at i think if the angle looks like i think it does. and also 0=15sin30+at for the x-component of the acceleration and your answer will be a vector with x and y components? I'm pretty sure you don't need to think about the eraser stopping, and that all you neeed is to think ok it goes from 8m/s in this direction and accelerates to 15m/s in this direction in .3 seconds

Related to How Do You Calculate the Average Acceleration of an Eraser in a Physics Problem?

What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight line distance and direction between an object's starting and ending position. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length traveled by an object, regardless of direction.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that refers to an object's speed and direction of motion. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to an object's rate of motion without considering its direction.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the change in position divided by the change in time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity considers the entire motion of an object, while instantaneous velocity only considers a specific point in time.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity and can be either positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down). It is represented by the symbol "a" and is measured in units of distance per time squared (e.g. meters per second squared).