Accelerometer activity recognition

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 3 axis accelerometer on a watch to recognize different activities such as walking, sitting, and falling. The speaker has performed tests but is struggling with how to analyze the data. Suggestions are offered, including plotting graphs in the time domain and looking for distinguishing features, as well as considering the orientation and correlation of the accelerometer components. The speaker is seeking further advice and guidance on how to proceed with the analysis.
Jakeun
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to recognize different activities such as walking, sitting and falling, using a watch which features a 3 axis accelerometer. Currently I have performed 1 minute tests of each activity 20 times but I am struggling on what to do with the data. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have tried to FFT the data but do not have any decent peaks to establish a difference among the activities. Maybe I should apply a high or low pass filter?

ANY suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am really struggling with this.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is plot graphs of the data from your tests (one test per graph) in the time domain, and spend some time looking at them. If I was doing something like this as a project at work, I would probably print out all the graphs and pin them up on the wall, and just leave them there for a few days to let my subconscious get to work on the data.

If you can't see any features that distinguish the situations, you probably need to think again about the concept. If you CAN see some distinguishing features, then you know what your mathematical signal processing needs to do. After that, if you attach a few of the plots here, somebody might have some ideas on how to do the math.

Presumably you don't know what was the orientation of the watch, so you might want to look at just the RMS acceleration (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(1/2) rather than the individual x y z components. Or you might want to see if the three components are closely correlated with each other, or independent. But without seeing the data, those are just random thoughts.

1. What is accelerometer activity recognition?

Accelerometer activity recognition is the process of using an accelerometer, a device that measures acceleration, to identify and classify different types of physical activities. This technology is commonly used in wearable devices, such as fitness trackers, to track and monitor a person's movements and physical activity levels.

2. How does accelerometer activity recognition work?

Accelerometer activity recognition works by measuring the acceleration of an object or person in three dimensions (x, y, and z axes). Based on the acceleration patterns, algorithms are used to identify and classify different activities, such as walking, running, or climbing stairs.

3. What are the applications of accelerometer activity recognition?

The applications of accelerometer activity recognition are numerous and diverse. Some common examples include fitness tracking, fall detection and prevention in elderly care, monitoring physical activity for medical purposes, and tracking sports performance.

4. What are the limitations of accelerometer activity recognition?

While accelerometer activity recognition can be a useful tool, it also has its limitations. Some of these limitations include the accuracy of the algorithms used, the need for proper placement and calibration of the device, and the inability to accurately differentiate between similar activities (e.g. walking vs. jogging).

5. What are the potential future developments for accelerometer activity recognition?

As technology continues to advance, there is potential for further developments in accelerometer activity recognition. This could include improved accuracy and reliability of the algorithms, integration with other sensors for more comprehensive tracking, and applications in fields such as virtual reality and gaming.