Accelerometer data interpretation

In summary, the conversation discusses an accelerometer data from a project where an object is dropped from a height of 1000 meters with a parachute. The normal values at ground level are 0m/s2 for X and Y axis and 9.8m/s2 for Z axis. However, when the object is dropped, the Z axis readings range from 11 to 14m/s2, which is inconsistent with the idea that a falling object with a parachute should not have a greater acceleration than gravity. The conversation also mentions checking for a constant downward velocity when the parachute is fully open and the possibility of higher acceleration readings when the parachute is slowing down the descent. The conversation also includes some calculations and values for the accelerometer and asks for
Cota
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello, this is my first experience in this forum. :)

I was wondering if someone can help me understanding my accelerometer data installed in a project consisting in an object that is dropped in the air from an altitude of approximately 1000 meters. The descent is controlled by a parachute.

Well, while at the ground level I am getting the normal values witch are 0m/s2 for X and Y axis and 9,8m/s2 for Z axis. So when the object is dropped I get readings in the Z axis from 11 to 14 m/s2 (average 12.2m/s2). This value seem to be not consistent with my idea that a falling object with a parachute cannot have an acceleration grater then gravity acceleration.

Can anyone help me with this?Thanks a lot, in advance.D Cot@PS-I am sorry about my English.

Physics news on Phys.org
two things to check:
1) When the parachute drop has reached a steady decent rate, the acceleration should be the same as if not dropping at all since there is no longer downward acceleration.
2) Is the higher reading when the parachute is slowing the downward decent? That would be a greater acceleration -- not just holding steady but decreasing a downward velocity.

Well, I am sorry but I didn't understand your first point.

Regarding the second point, yes, the higher readings are when during the descending with the parachute opened.

My accelerometer is a Adafruit 9 DOF L3DG20H gyroscope + LSM303DLHC accelerometer/compass sensors:

The mass of the object is 316 grams and the average descending velocity is 9.42 m/s.

Thank you very much.

Once the accelerometer and parachute has reached a steady decent rate, R, there is no more acceleration in the downward direction -- just a constant downward velocity. When that has happened, the accelerometer reading should be the same as it was before it was dropped.

If the accelerometer is dropped without the parachute fully open, it might get a higher downward velocity than the steady parachute decent rate R. When the parachute opens and begins to slow the decent, the acceleration numbers would be higher than before it was dropped.

You wrote:
"Once the accelerometer and parachute has reached a steady decent rate, R, there is no more acceleration in the downward direction -- just a constant downward velocity. When that has happened, the accelerometer reading should be the same as it was before it was dropped."

Yes, they are almost the same. There is a slight diference (about 0.15m/s2) maybe because of airplane vibration/movement.

Then, you wrote:
"If the accelerometer is dropped without the parachute fully open, it might get a higher downward velocity than the steady parachute decent rate R. When the parachute opens and begins to slow the decent, the acceleration numbers would be higher than before it was dropped."

Considering the underlined part, can you tell me why?

Meanwhile I did another thinking and calculations, considering the 3 axis values not the system acceleration:

During the descending I have this average values: X=0,46; Y=-1,45; Z=9,66m/s2. This seams to be ok.

Then considering the three axis and calculating the system acceleration: (ax^2+ay^2+az^2)^0,5 = 9,94m/s2

For the flight I have similar axis values, but I have X with 9,51m/s2 because the sensor is 90 degrees rotated in the drop tube.

Does this values seem consistent to you?

Thank you.

D Cot@

Cota said:
Then, you wrote:
"If the accelerometer is dropped without the parachute fully open, it might get a higher downward velocity than the steady parachute decent rate R. When the parachute opens and begins to slow the decent, the acceleration numbers would be higher than before it was dropped."

Considering the underlined part, can you tell me why?
If the object is at a constant height, not dropped, the accelerometer will detect the acceleration of gravity. If the object is dropping at a velocity V1 but being slowed by the parachute to a lower velocity V2 < V1, that adds acceleration in the upward direction compared with the non-dropped object. So the accelerometer should read a larger number.
Meanwhile I did another thinking and calculations, considering the 3 axis values not the system acceleration:

During the descending I have this average values: X=0,46; Y=-1,45; Z=9,66m/s2. This seams to be ok.

Then considering the three axis and calculating the system acceleration: (ax^2+ay^2+az^2)^0,5 = 9,94m/s2

For the flight I have similar axis values, but I have X with 9,51m/s2 because the sensor is 90 degrees rotated in the drop tube.

Does this values seem consistent to you?
I don't understand what you are saying.

Thank you very much again.

I think I am starting to understand. So when the object hits the ground I should expect a much lower value then 9,8m/s2, correct? Because of the high force on the upward direction. So if the accelerometer gives, for example, 2m/s2, can I conclude that the acceleration of the system when he hits the ground is 7,8m/s2 (9,8-2)?

To simplify I am just considering the z axis (vertical).

Cot@

When the object hits the ground, you should expect a large acceleration number at the instant of impact. After that, on the ground you should get the 9.8 m/s2.

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration, which is the change in velocity over time. It works by detecting changes in the forces acting on it, such as gravity, and converting those changes into electrical signals that can be interpreted by a computer.

2. What type of data can an accelerometer collect?

An accelerometer can collect data on acceleration, which includes changes in speed, direction, and orientation. It can also collect data on vibration, tilt, and shock.

3. How is accelerometer data interpreted?

Accelerometer data is typically interpreted by first calibrating the sensor to account for any external factors, such as gravity. Then, the data is converted into numerical values that represent the acceleration in each direction (x, y, and z). These values can then be used to track movement, analyze patterns, and make predictions.

4. What are some common applications of accelerometer data?

Accelerometer data is used in a variety of fields, including sports science, healthcare, aerospace, and robotics. It can be used to track physical activity, monitor sleep patterns, detect falls, and control the movement of devices.

5. What are some challenges in interpreting accelerometer data?

Some challenges in interpreting accelerometer data include dealing with noise and errors in the data, accounting for external factors that may affect the measurements, and determining the appropriate sampling rate for the specific application. It is also important to consider the limitations of the sensor itself, such as its range and sensitivity.