Accessing a paper in a non free journal

In summary, the protagonist is trying to figure out what to do about a situation where he doesn't have access to a paper that he is curious about. He goes to the library and finds that the journal he is curious about is from 2004 and is no longer available. He also finds that there may be a way to get the paper for free.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm assignated to do a lab report which consist of a numerical molecular simulation of water with a very particular water model. My program is already running but my professor didn't talk a lot about the model in particular. At this point -and I think it's totally fair-, we're expected to search/learn most stuff on our own. So I made some researches on the internet about this very particular model and apparently it was invented in 2004 and is explained in details in a paper in the Journal of Chemical Physics. I would like to read more about it just by curiosity.
Nevertheless it costs 28$ and I'm a person that doesn't save a single dollar per month, so 28$ would be too much in my case, especially if it's 9 pages long and I'm just "curious" about it. This would be as expensive as a textbook that could help me for a year.
I went to the library of the physics campus of my university today and asked if they had the journal. They only have that journal for years 2000 to 2002, unfortunately.
So here I am, tempting to write in the lab report "we use the water model XXXX[1].. [1]:J. Chem. Phys. 120, 6085 (2004); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1652434" without having read or even seen the paper I mention. Maybe it's common in academia to make reference to papers one has never read?! I have in mind "Annalen der phyzik" and people making reference to Einstein maybe without having read the original paper(s). But anyway I think that's strange and would rather not do it. But if I don't make reference to that paper it's like as if I had not searched at all about the paper which is untrue and it does interests me learning more about it.
I don't really know what to do about this situation. Is there a free way to see the paper (I wouldn't download it if it's not free, but I want to see it and read through it)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked that your university does not have free online access? For example, I know out of experience that I can access almost any non-obscure journal using a proxy server from my university.

Oh Interesting. I know the guy at the library well, I think he would have told me to check out online if it was possible. However I'm going to try tomorrow in case it works.

Yes, most universities have subscriptions to many scientific journals that you can at least access at the library.

Whether they're actually accessible at the time you need them could be a different story. Someone actually has to remember to renew those subscriptions (or licenses for software that the university uses, for that matter). If a journal is seldom used, the staff could forget to renew the subscription and it could be quite a while before someone notices and complains. (And then they could look at the date the subscription expired and how long it took for someone to complain and decide maybe they don't really need that after all.)

Even if a library does not have a subscription, ask a librarian to see if he/she can get the article for you. In many cases, academic institutions have agreements with other institutions whereby they can get books, papers, etc. sent to them even if they don't have it or don't subscribe to it.

In other words, never let a "no, we don't have them" stop you from ASKING for something.

Zz.

fluidistic said:
Oh Interesting. I know the guy at the library well, I think he would have told me to check out online if it was possible.

Like everybody else, the librarian has to work within a budget, so he might not want to tell students how to spend lots of library money by looking up papers at random:smile:

But as Zz said, the purpose of librarians is to help you find the information you need, even if they sometimes appear to do the opposite!

Alternately, many proud authors link to PDF's of their work on their homepages, and also just mailing the author, showing interest in his work and asking for a copy, gave a surprisingly high response rate.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Even if a library does not have a subscription, ask a librarian to see if he/she can get the article for you.

In the US, most libraries are part of an interlibrary loan system, which allows people to borrow or obtain materials from any library in the system by routing their request through their "home" library. Other countries may or may not have similar systems.

Anyway: http://home.icpf.cas.cz/ivonez/AAA_TODAY/TIP5P-E.pdf

Found with this search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the moral of the story is never pay for online access, there's always a way to get it for free

Thanks a lot guys. I couldn't access the computers at my university because classes were taught in the 2 rooms with computers. Furthermore the librarian I know well (even had a drink with him and other friends) wasn't there so I would have tried tomorrow. But apparently Andre found the paper on the Internet. It is exactly what I needed. I had searched with the title included within "'s and missed the 2nd link in google.
Anyway I'll ask if I can access to that journal from my university for future researches.
So once again, thanks a lot all and I must say I was lucky thanks to you. :smile:

You're welcome, :smile: note that the addition "filetype:pdf" filters out a lot of noise.

fluidistic said:
Oh Interesting. I know the guy at the library well, I think he would have told me to check out online if it was possible. However I'm going to try tomorrow in case it works.

Hi Fluidistic,

You can often find things on Google Scholar too.
But you should be able to access your library's ejournals from your computer at home.
If you don't know how, for sure check with the library staff. It's an essential tool.

NQ :-)

1. How can I access a paper in a non free journal?

There are a few options for accessing papers in non free journals. One option is to purchase a subscription to the journal or article. Another option is to use your institution's library resources, as they may have a subscription to the journal. You can also try reaching out to the author directly and requesting a copy of the paper.

2. Can I access a non free journal paper for free?

In most cases, accessing a non free journal paper for free is not possible. However, some journals may offer a limited number of free articles for non-subscribers or provide open access options for certain articles. Additionally, you may be able to find a pre-print version of the paper on the author's personal website or on a pre-print server.

3. What are some alternative ways to access a non free journal paper?

If you are unable to access a paper through a subscription or your institution's resources, you can try using interlibrary loan services. This allows you to request the paper from another library that may have a subscription. Another option is to search for the paper on a search engine or academic database, as sometimes these sites may have access to the paper.

4. Why are some journals not free to access?

Journals may charge a subscription fee to access their content in order to cover the costs of publishing and maintaining the journal. This allows them to continue producing high-quality, peer-reviewed articles. However, there are also open access journals that do not charge a subscription fee and make their content freely available to readers.

5. Can I still cite a paper from a non free journal if I cannot access it?

It is generally not recommended to cite a paper that you have not read or have not been able to access. However, if the paper is crucial to your research, you can include a citation and mention that you were unable to access the paper. It is important to always try to access the original source of information whenever possible.