Acid and Base Questions: Bronsted-Lowry Acids and Bases"

• Thread starter himura137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Base
In summary: I.e. the strong acid will outcompete the weak acid.In summary, the acids in C and E are not strong acids and therefore do not have an unfavorable equilibrium. However, because OH is a strong base, it does not have an equilibrium and therefore is not a Bronsted-Lowry acid.
himura137
1)Which of the following is not both a Bronsted-Lowry acid and a Bronsted-Lowry base?

a. OH-

b. HSO4-

c. SH-

d. HCO3-

e. H2PO4-

I knwo its not HCO3, H2PO4- AND HSO4-, but i cannot figure out whether OH can act as an acid and base or not, i know its produced when a base react with water, but not sure if itself can be reacted as a acid and base since if it does, OH would become O2 or H2O, not sure if that's possible.

2)
Which reaction of these potential acids and bases does not occur to any appreciable degree due to an unfavorable equilibrium?

a. NaC2H3O2 (aq) + HI

b. NaNH2 in liq. NH3 + ethanol

c. CH3Li in hexane + ethyne

d. NaOH (aq) + CH3CH2CH2CO2H

e. CH3CH2ONa in ethanol + ethene

For it to have an unfavorable equilibrium, one of the reactant would have to be a strong acid or base, since HI, NH3, NaOH are strong acid or base, they would form unfavorable equiibrium as the reaction would only go one way, i am unsure whether whether the chemicals in C and E are strong acid or bases.

3) Comparison of the acidity of strong acids in solution requires the use of a solvent less basic than water

this would be false because something that is less basic than water would make it an acid, and you can't compare strong acid with weak acid in the same solution, which mean that statement is false. Am i right?

Please help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
himura137 said:
1)Which of the following is not both a Bronsted-Lowry acid and a Bronsted-Lowry base?

a. OH-

b. HSO4-

c. SH-

d. HCO3-

e. H2PO4-

I knwo its not HCO3, H2PO4- AND HSO4-, but i cannot figure out whether OH can act as an acid and base or not, i know its produced when a base react with water, but not sure if itself can be reacted as a acid and base since if it does, OH would become O2 or H2O, not sure if that's possible.

2)
Which reaction of these potential acids and bases does not occur to any appreciable degree due to an unfavorable equilibrium?

a. NaC2H3O2 (aq) + HI

b. NaNH2 in liq. NH3 + ethanol

c. CH3Li in hexane + ethyne

d. NaOH (aq) + CH3CH2CH2CO2H

e. CH3CH2ONa in ethanol + ethene

For it to have an unfavorable equilibrium, one of the reactant would have to be a strong acid or base, since HI, NH3, NaOH are strong acid or base, they would form unfavorable equiibrium as the reaction would only go one way, i am unsure whether whether the chemicals in C and E are strong acid or bases.

3) Comparison of the acidity of strong acids in solution requires the use of a solvent less basic than water

this would be false because something that is less basic than water would make it an acid, and you can't compare strong acid with weak acid in the same solution, which mean that statement is false. Am i right?

Please help, thank you

1) OH- is a strong base e.g. NaOH

2)CH3Li is a strong base

3)Have you heard of the "leveling effect of a solvent?" You want to pertain to the competitiveness of the strong acids. Would a more basic solvent address this issue by reacting more violently with both of the acids? The direction you go should pertain to a setting where one of the strong acids now has an significant equilibrium constant in that solvent, which is more or less higher then the other, previously strong, acid.

!

I would like to provide a response to the following content about Bronsted-Lowry acids and bases.

1) The correct answer is c. SH-. OH- can act as both an acid and a base, as it can donate a proton to a stronger base or accept a proton from a stronger acid. This is known as amphiprotic behavior. So, OH- is both a Bronsted-Lowry acid and base.

2) The correct answer is a. NaC2H3O2 (aq) + HI. This reaction does not occur to any appreciable degree due to an unfavorable equilibrium because both NaC2H3O2 and HI are weak acids, so the equilibrium lies far to the left. The other reactions listed involve strong acids or bases, which would favor the formation of products.

3) Your understanding is correct. The statement is false because a solvent that is less basic than water would make it an acid, and you cannot compare strong acids with weak acids in the same solution. The comparison of strong acids in solution requires the use of a solvent that is more basic than water.

1. What are acids and bases?

Acids and bases are two types of chemical compounds that have distinct properties. Acids are substances that can donate protons, while bases are substances that can accept protons. Acids typically have a sour taste and can dissolve metals, while bases have a bitter taste and can feel slippery to the touch.

2. How are acids and bases different?

Acids and bases differ in their chemical properties. Acids have a pH level between 0 and 7, while bases have a pH level between 7 and 14. Acids also tend to be corrosive and can react with metals, while bases are often used as cleaning agents due to their ability to dissolve fats and oils.

3. What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of how acidic or basic a substance is. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. A pH below 7 indicates acidity, while a pH above 7 indicates basicity. The lower the pH, the more acidic the substance, and the higher the pH, the more basic the substance.

4. How do acids and bases react with each other?

When an acid and a base are mixed together, a neutralization reaction occurs. This is when the acid donates a proton to the base, resulting in the formation of water and a salt. The resulting solution will be closer to neutral on the pH scale.

5. What are some examples of common acids and bases?

Some common acids include acetic acid (found in vinegar), citric acid (found in citrus fruits), and hydrochloric acid (found in stomach acid). Some common bases include sodium hydroxide (found in drain cleaner), ammonia (found in cleaning products), and sodium carbonate (found in baking soda).