Acid-Base Equilibria - Ka constant

In summary, the question asks for the dissociation constant, Ka, of a 0.1 mol/L aqueous solution of a weak monoprotic acid with a hydrogen ion concentration of 0.001 mol/L. To solve this, the equation HX --> H+ + X- is used and the dissociation constant is found using the equation Ka = [H+][X-] / [HX]. By substituting the given concentrations, the dissociation constant is found to be 10-5. It is also noted that in some situations, ignoring the dissociation of water may not be advisable.
ctamasi
Ok, I'm having a hard time understanding the concept behind finding the dissociation constant. The question is:

A 0.1 mol/L aqueous solution of weak monoprotic acid has a hydrogen ion concentration of 0.001 mol/L. The value of the ionization, Ka, for this acid is:

a) 10-6
b) 10-2
c) 10-3
d) 10-5

Ok, I'm not necessarily interested in the answer, I just need a really good explanation of how to go about solving this question.

I'm assuming that I would first write out a balanced equation, however, the question is asking for the dissociation constant, therefore I'm not sure if the equation should be:

HX + H2O --> H3O + X

or

HX --> H+ + X- <-- my bet is on this equation because it says nothing about reacting with water.

The HX represents the weak acid, and X represents its anion.

The dissociation constant can be found as:

Ka = [H+][X-] / [HX]

However, this is where I get lost. If I had to go further, I would substitute the concentrations given, into the equation:

Ka = (0.001 mol/L)(X) / (0.1 mol/L)

The balanced equation shows that [H+] = [X-] = 1:1

Therefore, Ka = (0.001 mol/L)(0.001 mol/L) / (0.1 mol/L) = 10-5

This last little bit of the questions was somewhat of a guess, but some guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You expressed the concept well. You were more intent on the concept than the calculation so you can rethink the calculation according to your best judgement.
The simpler approach is to ignore the dissociation of water; as you advance in this study, you will learn how to handle situations in which ignoring the dissociation of water is not advised.

Great. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the Ka constant?

The Ka constant, also known as the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid in a solution. It is the equilibrium constant for the dissociation reaction of an acid in water.

2. How is the Ka constant calculated?

The Ka constant is calculated by dividing the concentration of products (H+ ions and conjugate base) by the concentration of the reactant (acid). This can also be represented using the equilibrium expression: Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA].

3. What does a large Ka value signify?

A large Ka value indicates a strong acid, meaning that it will readily dissociate in water and produce a high concentration of H+ ions. In general, the stronger the acid, the larger the Ka value will be.

4. How does temperature affect the Ka constant?

The Ka constant is temperature-dependent. An increase in temperature typically results in an increase in the dissociation of the acid, leading to a higher Ka value. However, this can vary depending on the specific acid and solution conditions.

5. What is the relationship between Ka and pKa?

pKa is the negative logarithm of Ka. It is a measure of the acidity of a solution, with lower pKa values indicating a stronger acid. Therefore, a higher Ka value corresponds to a lower pKa value, and vice versa.