Acidity of H2O vs H2S: Formal Charge vs Electronegativity

In summary: It is only one form, but it would be the most common form as it has the lowest formal charge (a single negative charge) and the negative charge is on the most electronegative atom.
PhysicsCanuck
Homework Statement
What is the Lewis dot structure for thiocyanic acid?
Relevant Equations
NA
1583525030078.png

I'm aware that the structure on the left is correct, but given that the formal charges are the same for each structure, I can't figure out why hydrogen is more likely to bond to the sulphur atom than it is to the nitrogen atom.

Thank you for your help here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both structures exist. The one on the left is thiocyanic acid and the one on the right is isothiocyanic acid. In equilibrium at STP, the molecules exist as a mixture of about 95% isothiocyanic acid (right) and 5% thiocyanic acid (left)

TeethWhitener said:
Both structures exist. The one on the left is thiocyanic acid and the one on the right is isothiocyanic acid. In equilibrium at STP, the molecules exist as a mixture of about 95% isothiocyanic acid (right) and 5% thiocyanic acid (left)
Hello and thank you very much for your response,

Could you also help me understand why the hydrogen is 20x more likely to bond with the sulphur than with the nitrogen?

Cheers

PhysicsCanuck said:
Hello and thank you very much for your response,

Could you also help me understand why the hydrogen is 20x more likely to bond with the sulphur than with the nitrogen?

Cheers
Read your question again and read my response more closely.

I actually think I gave you a little too much info the first time around (forgot I was posting in a homework thread).

TeethWhitener said:
Read your question again and read my response more closely.

I actually think I gave you a little too much info the first time around (forgot I was posting in a homework thread).
Oh I see I worded it backwards (which makes it even more confusing).

My resource only shows thiocyanic acid as an option--I was actually just trying to discover for myself if isothiocyanic acid can or does exist.

Could you help me understand why the H-N form of the tautomer is more common than the H-S form?

Thank you very much for your time and help here

PhysicsCanuck said:
Could you help me understand why the H-N form of the tautomer is more common than the H-S form?
What do you think? What do you know that can help you in this situation?

TeethWhitener said:
What do you think? What do you know that can help you in this situation?
Well the formal charges are the same, so I don't believe they will contribute.
My next thought is that electronegativity may contribute, but for the same reason as formal charge, I don't believe that should matter either.
I then wondered about tautomerization and have spent some time on Google and YouTube, but I couldn't locate anything that would suggest one of these forms should predominate.

Next I considered the deprotonated form (i.e. SCN- = thiocyanate = ||S=C=N|| ) and was trying to determine why the hydrogen atom would more readily form a bond with the nitrogen atom than the sulphur atom. Since the negative (formal) charge exists on the nitrogen, then I assumed it would thus more readily form a bond with the arriving positively-charge hydrogen atom.

PhysicsCanuck said:
My next thought is that electronegativity may contribute, but for the same reason as formal charge, I don't believe that should matter either.
I’m not sure I follow. You said the reason formal charge doesn’t matter is because the formal charge is the same for nitrogen and sulfur. Is this also true for electronegativity?

PhysicsCanuck said:
Next I considered the deprotonated form (i.e. SCN- = thiocyanate = ||S=C=N|| ) and was trying to determine why the hydrogen atom would more readily form a bond with the nitrogen atom than the sulphur atom. Since the negative (formal) charge exists on the nitrogen, then I assumed it would thus more readily form a bond with the arriving positively-charge hydrogen atom.
But that structure is only one resonance structure of the thiocyanic anion.

TeethWhitener said:
I’m not sure I follow. You said the reason formal charge doesn’t matter is because the formal charge is the same for nitrogen and sulfur. Is this also true for electronegativity?
Sorry, I was confusing there.
Nitrogen is more electronegative than is sulphur which implies that when involved in a chemical bond, nitrogen will draw (relatively) more electron density towards itself than would sulphur. But because both tautomer forms will produce molecules with formal charges of zero, then electronegativity should play no role.

Is that accurate?

TeethWhitener said:
But that structure is only one resonance structure of the thiocyanic anion.
It is only one form, but it would be the most common form as it has the lowest formal charge (a single negative charge) and the negative charge is on the most electronegative atom.

ahhhh, reasoning from my two previous responses, I suppose because nitrogen is more electronegative, and because it carries the negative charge on the deprotonated form (thiocyanate) then it is most likely to form a bond with the hydrogen atom

PhysicsCanuck said:
It is only one form, but it would be the most common form as it has the lowest formal charge (a single negative charge) and the negative charge is on the most electronegative atom.
What about:
$$S=C=N^- \longleftrightarrow {}^-S-C\equiv N$$

PhysicsCanuck said:
But because both tautomer forms will produce molecules with formal charges of zero, then electronegativity should play no role.
What does formal charge have to do with electronegativity?

TeethWhitener said:
What about:
$$S=C=N^- \longleftrightarrow {}^-S-C\equiv N$$
Because nitrogen is more electronegative, the resonance structure on the left will predominate

TeethWhitener said:
What does formal charge have to do with electronegativity?
I have no idea.

What do you think?

Ok but I hope you see that the formal charges are the same, just with the single negative charge on either sulfur or nitrogen.

TeethWhitener said:
Ok but I hope you see that the formal charges are the same, just with the single negative charge on either sulfur or nitrogen.
Yes! Thank you

PhysicsCanuck said:
I have no idea.

What do you think?
It’s your homework question. Here’s a hint: in comparing the acidity of H2O with H2S, which matters more, the formal charge or the electronegativity?

1. What is the chemical structure of thiocyanic acid?

Thiocyanic acid has the chemical formula HSCN and a linear molecular structure, with the sulfur atom bonded to the carbon atom and the nitrogen atom on opposite sides.

2. What is resonance in the context of thiocyanic acid?

Resonance in thiocyanic acid refers to the delocalization of electrons within the molecule, resulting in multiple possible structures that contribute to the overall stability of the molecule.

3. How does resonance affect the properties of thiocyanic acid?

The presence of resonance in thiocyanic acid results in a more stable molecule with a lower energy state and increased chemical reactivity. It also affects the bond lengths and strengths within the molecule.

4. What is the significance of thiocyanic acid resonance in biological systems?

Thiocyanic acid resonance is important in biological systems as it plays a role in the metabolism of thiocyanate, which is found in various foods and is also produced by the human body. It also contributes to the toxicity of some substances, such as cyanide.

5. How is thiocyanic acid resonance studied in the laboratory?

Thiocyanic acid resonance can be studied using various spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Computational methods, such as density functional theory, can also be used to analyze the electronic structure and properties of the molecule.