Acoustic Wave Velocities in Brillouin Zone

In summary, the problem involves calculating the acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone of germanium using the given phonon spectrum. The question asks for the calculation of |X(1,0,0)|, which is found to be 1.12x10^10 m^-1. To estimate the velocities of the sound waves, the equations ω=2πf and v=ω/k are used. The LA wave has a velocity of 4488m/s, while the degenerate TAs have a velocity of 2244m/s.
FoggyNight
Acoustic Wave Velocities in Brillouin Zone - Phonon Spectrum of Ge

Homework Statement

Acoustic Wave Velocities in Brillouin Zone - Phonon Spectrum Diagram
The exact problem I'm stuck on is Q3c on this exam paper. I have included an image of the problem below. I haven't
had any trouble up to this point, but I'm stuck on the second half of this part of this question.
9rUn4pk.png

The question gives the phonon spectrum of germanium as well as information about Ge (listed below) and then asks me to calculate |X(1,0,0)| (which I've done) and to hence estimate the velocities of the sound waves that can propagate along the Δ direction in the Ge Brillouin Zone. I also have to state the branch type of each wave, which I understand.

Homework Equations

a*=(2π/a)(-x^+y^+z^), b*=(2π/a)(x^-y^+z^), c*=(2π/a)(x^+y^-z^)
Lattice constant = 0.56nm
X(1,0,0)=1/2(b*+c*)
ω=2πf
v=ω/k

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can calculate |X(1,0,0)| as follows:

X(1,0,0)=1/2(b*+c*)=(2π/a)x^
|X(1,0,0)|=(2π/a)√(1^2)=2π/a=1.12x10^10 m^-1

This is where I get confused: I'm able to identify the 2TA waves and the LA wave, however,
I'm not sure exactly what values to sub into the ω=2πf and v=ω/k equations.

For the frequency do I just come directly up from the first delta on the x-axis and when I hit
a wave take the frequency at that point? I.e. LA would be ~4 and the degenerate TAs would
be ~2. We have the k for X(1,0,0) as 1.12x10^10m^-1, so would the lambda k be half this
value? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It turns out it isn't particularly complicated. I was thrown off by a solution sheet which turned out to be wrong, but I figured it out. What you need to do is take v=ω/k=2πf/k which is 2π by the slope. So say you choose for the LA to go up from 0.25 on the k axis when you hit the LA line it's 2 on the f axis. So the equation for the slope would be:

(2x1012)/(0.25)(1.12x1010)=714.3
where the top has 1012 because it's in THz and the bottom is multiplied by the |X(1,0,0)| value.

Multiply it by the 2π to get the velocity and you get about 4488m/s. Same idea for the TAs which come out at half of that value (so 2244-ish). Hope this helps if anyone ever needs this in the future!

1. What is the Brillouin Zone?

The Brillouin Zone is a concept in solid state physics that describes the boundaries of the first unit cell in the reciprocal lattice. It is a fundamental concept in the study of crystal structures and plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of materials.

2. How do acoustic wave velocities vary within the Brillouin Zone?

The acoustic wave velocities, namely the longitudinal and transverse velocities, vary within the Brillouin Zone due to the periodic nature of the crystal lattice. In general, the velocities are highest at the center of the Brillouin Zone and decrease towards the boundaries.

3. What factors influence the acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone?

The acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone are affected by various factors such as the material's elastic constants, density, and crystal structure. Additionally, temperature, pressure, and external forces can also influence these velocities.

4. How are acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone measured?

Acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone can be measured through various techniques such as Brillouin spectroscopy, ultrasonic measurements, and neutron scattering. These techniques involve sending an acoustic wave through the material and measuring the time it takes to propagate through different points in the Brillouin Zone.

5. What is the significance of studying acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone?

Understanding the acoustic wave velocities in the Brillouin Zone is crucial for predicting the mechanical and thermal properties of materials. It also provides insight into the behavior of phonons, which are responsible for heat conduction in solids. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as material science, engineering, and geophysics.