Equation for the propagation of the crest of a wave

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of propagation of crest and the mistake in the book answer. The correct equation is x = -1 + 2t, where the origin is an arbitrary point on the path of the wave and the nearest crest at t = 0 could be on either side of the origin.
songoku
Homework Statement
The displacement y of a wave traveling in the positive x-direction is described by time t and position x of a medium as y = 3.0 sin {2π (0.50 t – 0.25 x)}. Find the equation of the propagation of crest
Relevant Equations
v = ω / k

x = x(0) + v.t
I am not sure what is meant by "equation of propagation of crest" but this is my attempt:

First, I find the velocity of wave:
v = ω / k = 0.5 / 0.25 = 2 m/s

Then I calculate wavelength:
k = 2π / λ
λ = 4 m

I imagine the crests will move to the right along with the wave so I try to use equation of motion: x = x0 + v.t

The first crest will be located at the distance of λ/4 (1 m) from starting point (t = 0 and x = 0) so the equation becomes: x = 1 + 2t

But the answer is x = -1 + 2t

Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to see what's happening at ##t = 0##. You have a crest at ##x = 1m## at ##t=0##. What is the y-value for ##t = 0, x = 1##?

What about the book answer: ##t = 0, x = -1##?

PeroK said:
The trick is to see what's happening at ##t = 0##. You have a crest at ##x = 1m## at ##t=0##. What is the y-value for ##t = 0, x = 1##?

What about the book answer: ##t = 0, x = -1##?
When t = 0 and x = 1, the value of y is - 3

When t= 0 and x = -1, the value of y is 3

Based on the graph, the crest should be located at y = 3

But I don't understand the logic behind the working. At first I thought I should find equation of motion of crest where the position of crest would be measured with respect to origin. That's why I take x0 = 1 instead of -1 because I thought if the equation is x = 1 + 2t then when t = 0, x = 1 means that the first crest is initially at distance of 1 m from origin.

If the equation is x = -1 + 2t then when t = 0, x = -1 m and I interpret this as the location of the crest is at 1 m to the left of origin which does not make sense to me

Thanks

songoku said:
If the equation is x = -1 + 2t then when t = 0, x = -1 m and I interpret this as the location of the crest is at 1 m to the left of origin which does not make sense to me

Why does that not make sense? The origin is an arbitrary point on the path of the wave. The nearest crest to the origin at time ##t = 0## could be to the left or the right.

PeroK said:
Why does that not make sense? The origin is an arbitrary point on the path of the wave. The nearest crest to the origin at time ##t = 0## could be to the left or the right.
Because if I draw a graph of sine function, the nearest crest to origin at t = 0 is either at (1, 3) or (-1, -3). I am not getting why it is located at (-1, 3)

songoku said:
Because if I draw a graph of sine function, the nearest crest to origin at t = 0 is either at (1, 3) or (-1, -3). I am not getting why it is located at (-1, 3)

I you plug ##t=0, x = 1## into your equation you get: ##y = 3\sin(-\frac \pi 2) = -3##. That's a trough.

Likewise at ##t=0, x = -1## you get: ##y = 3\sin(\frac \pi 2) = 3##. That's a crest.

I think I understand. I had a wrong picture in my mind.

Thank you very much perok

What is the equation for the propagation of the crest of a wave?

The equation for the propagation of the crest of a wave is:
y(x,t) = A * sin(kx - ωt + φ)
where y(x,t) represents the displacement of the wave, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

What does each variable in the equation represent?

The variable y(x,t) represents the displacement of the wave at a given point (x) and time (t). A is the maximum displacement or amplitude of the wave. k is the number of complete waves per unit distance, also known as the wave number. ω is the rate of change of the wave's phase, also known as the angular frequency. φ is the initial phase of the wave.

How is the equation for the propagation of the crest of a wave derived?

The equation is derived from the general wave equation, which describes the propagation of any type of wave. The general wave equation is solved for a specific type of wave, such as a transverse wave, to get the equation for the propagation of the crest of the wave.

What does the equation for the propagation of the crest of a wave tell us?

The equation tells us the displacement of the wave at any point (x) and time (t). It also tells us the amplitude, wave number, angular frequency, and phase constant of the wave.

Can the equation for the propagation of the crest of a wave be applied to all types of waves?

No, the equation is specifically for transverse waves. Other types of waves, such as longitudinal waves, have different equations that describe their propagation.