Action-Reaction Forces: Understanding the Basics

In summary, when a book is pushed on a table with friction, it will push back with an equal and opposite force. The book will then push on the table with friction and the table will push back with equal force. However, the force of friction does not necessarily equal the force with which the book is pushed. The maximum force of friction between the book and the table is determined by the weight of the book and the coefficient of friction. If the force applied to the book is less than this maximum friction, the book will not move. If it is greater, the book will start to move. Additionally, during acceleration, the force of friction is influenced by the book's reaction force.
Bashyboy
This is not a question from a textbook, I am just supposing a situation.

A book is lying on a table with some friction. If I push on the book, the book will push on me with an equal and opposite force; the book will then push on the table with friction, and, in return it, the table will push with an equal and opposite force on the book. How does then book move then? I push with a force on the book, the force is transmitted into the book, and it pushes on the table that has friction, and the table pushes back with an equal force. Doesn't, then, the friction force equal the force that I push with?

Physics news on Phys.org
At some point in time, there was a net force on the book, causing it to accelerate to some velocity, then once a near constant velocity the net force returned to zero. During the acceleration, part of the force opposing the pushing was the books reaction force to acceleration.

Doesn't, then, the friction force equal the force that I push with?

No it most certainly does not when the book is moving.

The force with which you push the book along is not related to the force of friction between the book and the table.

The book presses down on the table with a force equal to its weight.
There is indeed always an equal and opposite reaction from the table on the book. This is what stops the book falling to the floor.
The mximum force of friction between the book and the table equals some constant (called the coefficient of friction) times this upward reaction from the table.

Meanwhile I can push with any force I like horizontally on the book.

If the force with which I push is less than that maximum friction stated above the book will not move.

If the force with which I push is greater than that maximum friction stated above the book will move.

Up to the point of starting to move actual force of friction will be just enough to prevent movement and no more.ie less than the maximum ffriction stated above.

What is an action-reaction force?

An action-reaction force is the principle that states every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This means that for every force applied, there will be a corresponding force in the opposite direction.

How do action-reaction forces affect motion?

Action-reaction forces can affect motion by either canceling each other out, resulting in no motion, or by causing motion in the opposite direction. For example, when a swimmer pushes off the wall, they exert a force on the wall (action) and the wall exerts an equal and opposite force back on the swimmer (reaction), propelling them forward.

Can action-reaction forces occur in the absence of motion?

Yes, action-reaction forces can still occur even if there is no visible motion. This is because forces can act on different objects, such as a book resting on a table. The weight of the book pushes down on the table, while the table exerts an equal and opposite force back on the book, keeping it in place.

How are action-reaction forces related to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Action-reaction forces are directly related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the forces involved in an action-reaction pair are always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

Can action-reaction forces be seen in everyday life?

Yes, action-reaction forces can be seen in many everyday situations. For example, when walking, the person exerts a force on the ground (action) and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on the person (reaction), allowing them to move forward. Other examples include bouncing a ball, kicking a soccer ball, or riding a bike.