Action variables for the Kepler problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian and its corresponding action variables for the generalized momenta. It is shown that the integral for the action variable corresponding to r can be solved using a trick and a useful result. The resulting Hamiltonian is symmetric in the two action variables, leading to a closed orbit with equal frequencies for both variables.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Express the Hamiltonian of the orbit in terms of the action variables ##I_{\phi}## and ##I_r## and hence show that the orbit is closed
Relevant Equations
N/A
Let's consider the Hamiltonian $$H = \frac{1}{2m} p_r^2 + \frac{1}{2mr^2} p_{\phi}^2 - \frac{k}{r}$$where the generalised momenta are here ##p_r = m\dot{r}## and ##p_{\phi} = mr^2 \dot{\phi}## conjugate to the coordinates ##r## and ##\phi##. Since ##p_{\phi}## does not depend on ##\phi## it can easily be integrated to obtain the action variable ##I_{\phi} = p_{\phi}## (which is also by construction a constant of motion), however the action variable corresponding to ##r## proves more difficult. Since ##\partial H / \partial t = 0##, we have ##H \equiv E = \text{constant}## because ##dH/dt = -\dot{p}_i \dot{q}_i + \dot{p}_i \dot{q}_i + \partial H / \partial t = 0##. The integral for ##I_r## becomes$$I_r = \frac{1}{2\pi} \oint p_r dr = 2\times \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{max}}} \sqrt{2mE + \frac{2mk}{r} - \frac{I_{\phi}^2}{r^2}} dr$$We must show this equals$$I_r = k\sqrt{\frac{m}{2|E|}} - I_{\phi}$$Two problems, I can't see how to do that integral, and we'd also need to somehow eliminate ##r_{\text{min}}## and ##r_{\text{max}}##. Anyway, the integral is probably more important right now... let ##A \equiv 2mE##, ##B \equiv 2mk## and ##C \equiv -I_{\phi}^2##, and then$$I_r = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{max}}} \frac{\sqrt{Ar^2 + Br + C}}{r} dr$$I wonder if there's supposed to be a nice way of solving it, because all I tried was this$$I_r = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{max}}} \frac{1}{r} \sqrt{A \left(r+ \frac{B}{2A} \right)^2 + \left(\frac{C}{A} - \frac{B^2}{4A^2} \right)} dr = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{u(r_{\text{min}})}^{u(r_{\text{max}})} \frac{\sqrt{Au^2 + D}}{u - \frac{B}{2A}} du$$with ##D \equiv \left(\frac{C}{A} - \frac{B^2}{4A^2} \right)##, which does not seem to help. Maybe I could let ##u \equiv \sqrt{D/A} \sinh{\theta}##, in which case$$I_r = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{\theta(r_{\text{min}})}^{\theta(r_{\text{max}})} \frac{\sqrt{Au^2 + D}}{u - \frac{B}{2A}} du = \frac{D}{\pi \sqrt{A}} \int_{\theta(r_{\text{min}})}^{\theta(r_{\text{max}})} \frac{\cosh^2{\theta}}{\sqrt{\frac{A}{D}} \sinh{\theta} - \frac{B}{2A}} d\theta$$but this just gets messier and messier. Is there a trick or something that would make the integral easier? Thank you in advance

EDIT: By the way, I forgot to write that also we're told that a useful result is$$\int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{min}}} \sqrt{ \left(1-\frac{r_{\text{min}}}{r} \right) \left(\frac{r_{\text{max}}}{r} - 1 \right) } dr = \frac{\pi}{2}(r_{\text{min}} + r_{\text{max}}) - \pi \sqrt{r_{\text{min}}r_{\text{max}}}$$although it's not obvious to me at all how that helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
$$I_r = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{max}}} \frac{\sqrt{Ar^2 + Br + C}}{r} dr$$

##r_\text{min}## and ##r_\text{max}## correspond to the roots of the argument of the square root in the integrand. Thus, the argument may factored to be proportional to ##(r - r_{\text{max}})(r - r_{\text{min}})##. Be careful with signs. For example, ##A## is a negative number.

• Love
Likes Delta2 and etotheipi
Ah perfect, that's the key insight! I suppose that would be because the roots of ##p_{r} = m\dot{r} = 0## correspond to ##r = r_{\text{max}}## and ##r = r_{\text{min}}## because these two are the local maximum and minimum with respect to ##t## in the coordinate ##r = r(t)##. So, using a funny letter for the proportionality constant to keep things interesting,$$2mEr^2 + 2mkr - I_{\phi}^2 = \Xi(r-r_{\text{min}})(r-r_{\text{max}}) = \Xi r^2 - \Xi(r_{\text{min}} + r_{\text{max}}) r+ \Xi r_{\text{min}} r_{\text{max}}$$Since ##r^2##, ##r## and ##1## are linearly independent functions and this holds for all ##r \in [r_{\text{min}}, r_{\text{max}}]## we have ##\Xi = 2mE = (-2mk)/(r_{\text{min}} + r_{\text{max}}) = (-I_{\phi}^2)/(r_{\text{min}} r_{\text{max}})##, which we keep for later. Back to the integral, since ##|r- r_{\text{max}}| = r_{\text{max}} -r \geq 0##,$$I_r = \frac{\sqrt{|\Xi|}}{\pi} \int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{max}}} \frac{1}{r} \sqrt{|(r-r_{\text{min}})(r-r_{\text{max}})|} dr = \frac{\sqrt{|\Xi|}}{\pi} \int_{r_{\text{min}}}^{r_{\text{max}}} \sqrt{\left(1-\frac{r_{\text{min}}}{r}\right) \left(\frac{r_{\text{max}}}{r} -1 \right)} dr$$And using the magic hint$$I_r = \frac{\sqrt{|\Xi|}}{\pi} \left(\frac{\pi}{2}(r_{\text{min}} + r_{\text{max}}) - \pi \sqrt{r_{\text{min}}r_{\text{max}}} \right) = \frac{\sqrt{|\Xi|}}{2}\left( r_{\text{min}} + r_{\text{max}}\right) - \sqrt{|\Xi| r_{\text{min}}r_{\text{max}} }$$and after a little more re-writing, and remembering that ##\Xi = - |\Xi| < 0##, as well as that ##E = -|E| < 0## and ##I_{\phi} = |I_{\phi}| > 0##,$$I_r = \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{2} \frac{-2mk}{2mE} - \sqrt{I_{\phi}^2} = k\sqrt{\frac{m}{2|E|}} - I_{\phi}$$Hence the Hamiltonian takes the form$$H = -\frac{mk^2}{2(I_r + I_{\phi})^2}$$which is symmetric in the two action variables, and thus the rate of change of both of the corresponding angle variables are equal, i.e. $$\dot{\theta}_r = \frac{\partial H}{\partial I_r} \equiv \frac{\partial H}{\partial I_{\phi}} = \dot{\theta}_{\phi}$$and since the frequencies of both of these variables in the phase space are the same, the orbit is closed.

Thanks you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes TSny

1. What are action variables in the Kepler problem?

Action variables are a set of three quantities that describe the motion of a particle in a central force field, such as the gravitational field of the Sun in the case of the Kepler problem. They are defined as the integrals of motion, meaning they remain constant throughout the motion of the particle.

2. How are action variables related to the Keplerian orbit?

The three action variables, known as the actions, are directly related to the shape, size, and orientation of the Keplerian orbit. They provide a complete description of the orbit and can be used to calculate the orbital period and other important parameters.

3. Why are action variables useful in studying the Kepler problem?

Action variables simplify the analysis of the Kepler problem by reducing it to a one-dimensional problem. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the motion of the particle and makes it easier to calculate important quantities such as the orbital period and energy of the particle.

4. How can action variables be calculated?

Action variables can be calculated using Hamilton's equations of motion, which relate the actions to the energy and angular momentum of the particle. They can also be calculated using the virial theorem, which relates the actions to the potential and kinetic energy of the particle.

5. Can action variables be used to study other central force problems?

Yes, action variables can be applied to any central force problem, not just the Kepler problem. They provide a powerful tool for analyzing the motion of particles in various types of central force fields, such as the gravitational field of a planet or the electric field of a charged particle.