Actual number of stars in the Milky Way

In summary, the conversation discussed the varying estimates of the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, ranging from 200 billion to 400 billion. The discussion also touched on the methods used to estimate the number of stars, including the use of the GAIA telescope and the upcoming launch of the JWST. It was mentioned that about 85% of the Milky Way is invisible due to dust and geometry, making it difficult to accurately count all the stars. The conversation also acknowledged the discrepancy between estimates and the challenges in estimating the number of stars in the galaxy.
Stickman76
I hear wild varying estimates of how many stars there are in the Milky Way Galaxy, from 200 billion to 400 billion. Is the number closer to 200 billion or closer to 400 billion? What methods are being employed (other than GAIA) in order to count them?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stickman76 said:
What methods are being employed?
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/
While it's not the only one, it's a pretty big deal

rootone, thank you! I am familiar with JWST as well. Can't wait for it to get into space and start doing science. Do you know how the number of stars has been estimated to date? And why the large discrepancy between estimates I mentioned in my OP? Thanks!

About 85% of the Milky Way is invisible to us because of dust (and to a lesser extent, geometry). Most stars are red dwarfs, which are extremely dim. Combine the two, and it's hard to count what you don't see.

Vanadium 50 said:
About 85% of the Milky Way is invisible to us because of dust (and to a lesser extent, geometry). Most stars are red dwarfs, which are extremely dim. Combine the two, and it's hard to count what you don't see.

Especially because the invisible part is qualitatively different. We may assume that the ratio of red dwarfs to bright stars is the same on the far side of Milky Way disc as it is on the near side, but most of the stars are in the inner Milky Way, which is also hid, and we have no reason to assume the ratio of red dwarfs to bright stars should be the same there.

Likes sophiecentaur
Snorkak, thank you for the additional input. So then it seems as though our estimates of how many stars there are in the galaxy is based on a survey of a given observable area of the galaxy and an approximation of the stars in that area that is then multiplied by the known estimated size of the galaxy, or similar technique. I suppose the estimation takes into account that there are more stars toward the center and fewer toward the outer edges, however it seems as though there is a large discrepancy between the high and low estimates. 200 billion - 400 billion is a 100% increase. This is a hard problem as are many in astronomy, however I am pursuing a career in said field and am very curious about the Cosmos so I will continue to ask questions. Thanks again to all who have chimed in on this topic.

1. How many stars are there in the Milky Way?

The estimated number of stars in the Milky Way is between 200 and 400 billion. However, this number is constantly changing as new discoveries are made and more accurate measurements are taken.

2. How do scientists estimate the number of stars in the Milky Way?

Scientists use a variety of methods to estimate the number of stars in the Milky Way, including observing the brightness and size of stars, measuring the gravitational effects of stars on nearby objects, and using computer simulations.

3. Are there more stars in the Milky Way than grains of sand on Earth?

No, there are estimated to be around 100 trillion grains of sand on Earth, which is significantly more than the estimated number of stars in the Milky Way.

4. Can we see all the stars in the Milky Way from Earth?

No, we cannot see all the stars in the Milky Way from Earth. The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy, and we are located within one of its arms, so our view is limited by the vast distances between stars and the presence of gas and dust clouds.

5. Will the number of stars in the Milky Way ever change?

Yes, the number of stars in the Milky Way is constantly changing as stars are born and die. Additionally, as our technology and understanding of the universe improves, we may discover new stars that were previously unknown.