Actuator controller What to use?

In summary, the speaker is looking for help in finding a way to control an actuator for an automatic egg turner. The egg turner consists of stacked cradles that need to be pushed by the actuator to a 45 degree angle for 1-2 minutes and then sit for 4 hours before repeating the cycle. The actuator being considered is a 100mm stroke with a speed of 5mm and 5000N. The incubator can hold 1350 eggs and the actuator is an overkill but better to be stronger.
jonnydot
Hi Guy's I am building an Automatic egg turner for an old incubator .I wish to use an actuator and I need a way to control it .The egg turner is basically a set of stacked cradles that moves 45 degrees through 90 degrees and back again ,this action will need to be controlled so the actuator push's the cradles for a set amount of time slowly to reach a 45 degree angle over approx 1-2 minutes and stop ,sit there for 4 hours and then reverse the procedure (polarity) back through 90 degrees to the opposite 45 degree angle and once again sit for 4 hours and repeat this cycle continuously for about 4 months .I would also need to be able to temporarily halt this action and have the cradle sit in a horizontal position so more eggs can be set and at a push of a button restart the cycle .Having minimal experience with pid controllers I am at a total loss as to what to purchase so I hoped I may get help here ? This is the actuator I am looking at purchasing http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/linear-actuator-100mm-stroke-5mm-speed-5000n.html The incubator will hold 1350 eggs ,that's about 95 kg + cradle so it would weigh about 120 kg all up but would only need to push and pull half that weight due to balance ,the actuator is probably an over kill but better to be stronger than just strong enough .Many thanks in advance for your time

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your link doesn't show the device.

Just edited ,try the new link :-)

1. What is an actuator controller and what does it do?

An actuator controller is a device used to control the movement or action of an actuator, which is a mechanical device that converts energy into motion. It provides the necessary signals and power to activate the actuator and regulate its movement.

2. How do I choose the right actuator controller for my application?

The right actuator controller will depend on several factors, such as the type and size of the actuator, the desired movement or control, and the power source. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a professional to determine the best fit for your specific application.

3. Are there different types of actuator controllers?

Yes, there are various types of actuator controllers available, including electric, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electronic controllers. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. It is important to choose the right type based on the specific needs of your project.

4. Can I use a generic actuator controller for any type of actuator?

No, it is not recommended to use a generic actuator controller for any type of actuator. Each actuator requires a specific type of controller that is designed to work with its particular characteristics and specifications. Using the wrong controller can lead to malfunction or damage to the actuator.

5. How do I troubleshoot problems with an actuator controller?

If you are experiencing issues with your actuator controller, you should first check the power source and connections to ensure they are functioning properly. You can also refer to the manufacturer's manual for troubleshooting tips. If the issue persists, it is best to consult with a professional for assistance.