Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear

In summary, the designers of the fokker 100 need to redesign the brake actuators in order to improve braking performance. The brake discs need to be pushed on the wheels by an actuator in order to create the sideway forces. The designers need to know how much power the actuators need to produce in order to determine the number of actuators needed.
Sem ten Wolde
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Dear users,

I have a problem with a calculation. I have got an assignment. For this assignment I have to redesign the brake actuators for the brake discs of the main landing gear of th fokker 100. I have forgotten how to calculate a force that goes sideways. The sideway forces are created when the lineair actuator pushes the brake disc on the wheels. For the calculation I have a few values.

asdfg_b7cns0.jpg

- Total brake disc mass: 237,84 kg (90% worn brake, CS25.109i)
- CS-25 braking speed is= -3,0 m/s^2
- Assumed distance from neutral position actuator to the wheel= 5 cm
- Maximum take-off weight Fokker 100: 44.450 kg
- Kinetic energy brake discs: 162 MJ
- Maximum actuator force for each actuator: 40.000N
- Specific Heat of he brake disk material: 800 J/kg/K
- RTO test speed: 85m/s, 166 knots
- Effect of air resistance will be ignored, trust reverser and speedbrake on the wing will not be applied.

I have a few questions:
1 - Which formula do I need to determine the force that the actuators need to push the brake discs?
2 - How much actuators do I need in total on each wheel?
3 - What is the Work of each actuator?
4 - What is the Power of each actuator?

To be clear, I DON'T need to know the maximum kinetic energy capability of the brake disc, these questions are aimed only for the actuators. I need to know how much power the actuator need to produce and how much of them I need them on 1 wheel.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is how I would do it..

First work out the force needed to retard the aircraft using Newtons F=ma. From that work out the torque the brakes have to apply using F and the wheel radius. Then I think you can use the average radius of the pads to calculate the friction force Ff required to produce the same torque. Then use the friction equation Ff = uN where u is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force (eg the actuator force asked for in Q1).

Then for Q2 divide the force required by the max force one actuator can produce to get the number of actuators required.

I think Q3 and 4 is difficult. Work = force * displacement. But the displacement is the distance the actuator compresses the brake material and the force isn't constant over that distance. Perhaps you ca use the 5cm dimension and assume the force is constant? or changes from 0 to N and take an average?

In the above I've not taken into account the number of wheels. Essentially you have to divide the force by the number of wheels that are fitted with brakes.

Last edited:

1. What is a Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear?

A Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear is a component of an aircraft's landing gear system that controls the movement and positioning of the brake disc, which is essential for safe and effective braking during landing.

2. How does the Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear work?

The actuator is powered by hydraulic pressure, which is controlled by the pilot through the use of pedals in the cockpit. When the pilot depresses the pedals, the hydraulic pressure is directed to move the actuator, which then moves the brake disc and applies pressure to the brakes.

3. What are the materials used in the construction of the Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear?

The actuator is typically made of steel, aluminum, and rubber. The brake disc itself is made of steel, while the actuator housing and other components are made of aluminum. Rubber seals are used to prevent leakage of hydraulic fluid.

4. How often does the Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear need to be replaced?

The actuator is a durable component and can last for many years with proper maintenance. However, it will eventually need to be replaced due to wear and tear. The exact lifespan will vary depending on usage and maintenance practices.

5. Can the Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear fail during flight?

While it is possible for any aircraft component to fail during flight, the Fokker 100 Brake Disc Actuator Main Landing Gear is designed and tested to meet strict safety standards. Regular inspections and maintenance can help prevent unexpected failures.