Adblock Plus No Longer Blocking Stuff? (Must Pay?)

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Twitter
kyphysics
Approximately two weeks ago, I noticed my ABP not blocking ads on Twitter. This then spread to YouTube and other sites.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. There is a "honor"ware page, whereby you can "donate" an amount you can afford.

I skipped that page after installation (i.e., closed it and didn't donate at all). I've never paid for ABP and wasn't sure if that was truly just a "donation" page or if you needed to pay something (even if just $5 - the min. they'll take) for ABP to start blocking ads again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you still use ABP in 2023, you're doing something very, very wrong. It's been ages Ublock Origin beats ABP in terms of efficiency and blocking capability.

1. Why is Adblock Plus no longer blocking content?

Adblock Plus recently announced that it will start allowing certain "acceptable ads" to be shown by default. This means that these ads will no longer be blocked by the Adblock Plus extension.

2. Do I have to pay to continue using Adblock Plus?

No, Adblock Plus is still a free extension and there is no requirement to pay in order to use it. However, the company does offer a premium version that includes extra features and support.

3. What are "acceptable ads" and why are they being allowed?

"Acceptable ads" are ads that meet specific criteria set by Adblock Plus. They are considered non-intrusive and do not disrupt the user's browsing experience. Allowing these ads helps support websites while still giving users control over their ad experience.

4. Can I still block all ads with Adblock Plus?

Yes, you can still choose to block all ads with Adblock Plus. The default setting now allows for "acceptable ads" to be shown, but you can easily change this in the extension's settings to block all ads.

5. Will this change affect my privacy or security?

No, this change does not affect your privacy or security. Adblock Plus still blocks tracking and malware domains, and the "acceptable ads" that are allowed have been thoroughly vetted to ensure they do not compromise user privacy or security.

Back