Adding a math minor to a physics degree?

In summary: I think it would be a good idea for you to take a course that covers the basics of calculus, linear algebra, and probability, at the very least. These would be good foundations for more advanced mathematics. The workload would be a little more than just taking the classes, but it would give you a better understanding of the concepts behind them. Additionally, if you end up pursuing a research degree, having a solid background in mathematics can make the process of finding funding and writing a thesis much easier.
Arij
Hello guys,

I was wondering what are your thoughts on pursuing a math minor in addition to my physics degree. I have two years left to graduate. I will have to go through Transition (introduction to proofs), Linear Algebra, Analysis, Abstract Algebra and number theory and a 400 level class. Can anyone who has gone through this describe to me the workload and pros/cons of doing it? did it further your understanding and skills in physics at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
It never hurts to learn more math. That is, in general, yourself with all your physics knowledge with an extra math course will be at a slight advantage over yourself with all your physics knowledge without that math course. It just depends on what you plan on doing whether the effort of taking the extra math courses is worth it. I can't comment specifically on each of them.

axmls said:
It never hurts to learn more math. That is, in general, yourself with all your physics knowledge with an extra math course will be at a slight advantage over yourself with all your physics knowledge without that math course. It just depends on what you plan on doing whether the effort of taking the extra math courses is worth it. I can't comment specifically on each of them.

I am looking into research and I want to get in graduate school; most likely for condensed matter or energy related degrees after I finish my undergrad.

take applied math courses, PDE's, Linear Algebra, Computational Math, a real course in geometry (not differential geometry, I am not adverse to it, but unless your thinking relativity as a research topic), a nonlinear math course might not be a bad thing either.

Where I got my UG degree, a math minor was 1 additional course for a physics major since we had to take a year long course in advanced applied math from the math department since they didn't teach a math methods course.

1. What is the benefit of adding a math minor to a physics degree?

Adding a math minor to a physics degree can provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical foundations and principles underlying many physical concepts. It can also enhance problem-solving skills and make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for graduate programs or jobs in fields that require a strong background in both math and physics.

2. Will adding a math minor significantly increase the workload?

The workload will depend on the specific requirements of the math minor and the number of math courses you have already taken for your physics degree. However, since many math courses have overlapping material with physics courses, it may not significantly increase the workload.

3. Can I add a math minor to my physics degree if I did not take many math courses in my undergraduate studies?

It may be possible to add a math minor to your physics degree, but it may require taking additional courses or completing a summer program to catch up on the necessary math courses. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action.

4. How will a math minor affect my career options?

Having a math minor alongside a physics degree can open up a wider range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, data science, finance, and computer science. It can also make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs in these fields.

5. Can I add a math minor later on in my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to add a math minor later on in your undergraduate studies. However, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule to ensure that you can complete all the necessary courses for both your physics major and math minor within the allotted time. It is recommended to speak with your academic advisor before making any changes to your degree plan.