Adding heat to a Non Ideal Gas problem

In summary, when 120J of heat are added to this gas, the temperature changes from (a) 10K at constant volume and (b) 4K at constant pressure.
troytroy

Homework Statement

When 120J of heat are added to this gas, the temperature of the gas changes. Find the change in temperature if the heat is added at (a) constant volume. (b) constant pressure.

Homework Equations

The equation of state of at the gas is (p + 50)V = 10T

The internal energy of this gas is given by U = 20T + 50V + 40

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I used the fact that U = W + Q, but since the volume is constant I know that U=Q=120J. From this I substitute V for the equations to obtain an equation for T with pressure as the independent variable. T = (4p + 200)/(75 + p) then dT/dp = 100/(75+p)^2. Is this the right way to go about this problem? or should I use something like since U = Q and the differential of U(T,V) is
dU = (partial dU/dT)DT + (partial dU/dV)DV and then take the partial of U with respect to T, which would be dU = 20 dT. THEN 20 dT = 120J since U = Q. Thus, dT = 6. I am not sure which route to go. Similar question for part (b). Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, your second method is correct. You are looking for the changes in U and T (not their absolute values), which this method captures.

Let's see what you are able to come up with for part b.

Chet

Thanks Chet! for part (b) I know that the pressure is constant so U = 120J + W = 120J + PV. Then we can get 120J + PV = 20T + 50V + 40J then this simplifies to 80J + PV = 20T +50V. Since from the equation of state PV = 10T - 50V we can substitute and get 80J + 10T - 50V = 20T + 50V. This can be rearranged to
10T = 80J - 100V then taking the differential would give 10dT= -100 which means dT = -10 K. What do you think?

troytroy said:
Thanks Chet! for part (b) I know that the pressure is constant so U = 120J + W = 120J + PV. Then we can get 120J + PV = 20T + 50V + 40J then this simplifies to 80J + PV = 20T +50V. Since from the equation of state PV = 10T - 50V we can substitute and get 80J + 10T - 50V = 20T + 50V. This can be rearranged to
10T = 80J - 100V then taking the differential would give 10dT= -100 which means dT = -10 K. What do you think?

I think it's not right. First, solve the equation of state for V as a function of p and T. Then determine ΔV as a function of ΔT, holding p constant. The amount of heat is:

Q = ΔU+pΔV

Express both terms on the right by eliminating ΔV. The pressure p should cancel, and you should end up with just a function of ΔT.

Chet

Okay, so solving for my equation of state for V, I get V = 10T/(p+50), then this means dV = 10dT/(p+50) since p is constant. Also, I know that Q = du + dw and du = 20dT +50dV = 120J - pdV. This can be rewritten as 20dT +dV(p + 50) = 120J. Then substituting the above dV I get 30dT = 120. Thus, dT = 4K.

Good job.

Chet

1. How does adding heat affect a non-ideal gas?

Adding heat to a non-ideal gas increases the internal energy of the gas, causing its molecules to move faster and collide more frequently. This can lead to an increase in pressure and volume of the gas.

2. What is the relationship between heat and temperature in a non-ideal gas?

In a non-ideal gas, the relationship between heat and temperature is not always linear. This is because the internal energy of the gas is not solely dependent on its temperature, but also on factors like intermolecular forces and molecular size.

3. Can adding heat change the state of a non-ideal gas?

Yes, adding heat can cause a non-ideal gas to undergo a change in state, such as from a gas to a liquid or solid. This is because the increased energy can overcome the intermolecular forces holding the gas molecules together, causing them to condense into a liquid or solid state.

4. How does the specific heat capacity of a non-ideal gas affect the amount of heat needed to change its temperature?

The specific heat capacity of a non-ideal gas is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a unit mass of the gas by 1 degree. A higher specific heat capacity means more heat is required to change the temperature of the gas, as it takes more energy to increase the internal energy of the gas molecules.

5. Is the addition of heat always necessary to solve a non-ideal gas problem?

No, the addition of heat is not always necessary to solve a non-ideal gas problem. Other variables, such as pressure, volume, and number of moles, can also be manipulated to solve for the final state of the gas. However, adding heat is often used to change the state of the gas and can affect the final solution.