How is entropy affected in a reversible process for an ideal gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses an unspecified reversible process applied to an ideal gas to obtain maximum useful work using a reservoir at To and an environment at Po. The process may involve using the ideal gas as a high temperature reservoir for a second ideal gas. The calculation focuses on the ideal gas, with no entropy generated within it. The heat transferred from the reservoir to the gas is T0ΔS, and the change in internal energy is C_v(T0-T). The work done by the gas in pushing back the surroundings is not considered useful work, and the net useful work is calculated as W-P0ΔV. In a reversible process, the entropy change is zero, but for an arbitrary process, it includes the entropy transferred at
Pouyan
Homework Statement
Determine the maximum work that can be recovered by obtaining a mole of ideal gas with constant heating capacity Cv, temperature T and pressure p to reversibly adopt the ambient temperature T0 and pressure p0.
Relevant Equations
ΔU=ΔW + ΔQ
S(p,T) = (Cv+nR)ln(T)-nRln(p)
pV=nRT
What do I see in my solution is :

ΔW + ΔQ = W_pv + W' + ΔQ (A little difficult to perceive the useful work )

Work on the environment : -p0*(-ΔV) (WHY negative sign?, Is this the work ON the gas?)
ΔV=nR (T0/p0 -T/p)
By TdS = dQ
ΔS + ΔS0 =0

Reversible case:
ΔU= -T0ΔS - (-p0(-ΔV)) + W' (WHY T0ΔS is negative here?)

-W'=-ΔU-T0ΔS-p0ΔV

The rest is not difficult to calculate, but I still do not understand how we can get the useful work in such a process. I am used to the ideal gas equation dU = TdS-pdV. Here I see an extra parameter W', (I know it is the useful work, but it is confusing when I see it with pdV ). I think I don't understand well when a GAS do work on it's environment or vice versa !

Physics news on Phys.org
What they are doing here is to assume that there is some unspecified reversible process that is applied to an ideal gas to get the maximum amount of useful work out of it, using only a reservoir at To and an environment at Po. The process could even partially consist of using the ideal gas as the high temperature reservoir that supplies heat to a second ideal gas (working fluid) that executes reversible Carnot cycles.

The focus of the calculation is the ideal gas under consideration. Because the unspecified process that it is involved with is reversible, there is no entropy generated within the gas, and its change in entropy during the process is only the result from exchange of heat with the reservoir at To. So the heat transferred from the reservoir to the gas is $$Q=T_0\Delta S$$ where $$\Delta S = (C_v+R)\ln((T_0/T))+R\ln{(P_0/P)}$$The change in internal energy of the gas between its initial state and its final state is: $$\Delta U=C_v(T_0-T)$$The first law tells us that $$\Delta U=Q-W$$where W is the total work done by the gas. So, $$W=Q-\Delta U$$The work done by the gas in pushing back the surroundings ##P_0\Delta V## is not considered useful work. So the net useful work is $$W_{useful}=W-P_0\Delta V$$

Likes Pouyan
Chestermiller said:
What they are doing here is to assume that there is some unspecified reversible process that is applied to an ideal gas to get the maximum amount of useful work out of it, using only a reservoir at To and an environment at Po. The process could even partially consist of using the ideal gas as the high temperature reservoir that supplies heat to a second ideal gas (working fluid) that executes reversible Carnot cycles.

The focus of the calculation is the ideal gas under consideration. Because the unspecified process that it is involved with is reversible, there is no entropy generated within the gas, and its change in entropy during the process is only the result from exchange of heat with the reservoir at To. So the heat transferred from the reservoir to the gas is $$Q=T_0\Delta S$$ where $$\Delta S = (C_v+R)\ln((T_0/T))+R\ln{(P_0/P)}$$The change in internal energy of the gas between its initial state and its final state is: $$\Delta U=C_v(T_0-T)$$The first law tells us that $$\Delta U=Q-W$$where W is the total work done by the gas. So, $$W=Q-\Delta U$$The work done by the gas in pushing back the surroundings ##P_0\Delta V## is not considered useful work. So the net useful work is $$W_{useful}=W-P_0\Delta V$$
Thanks so much for the help but one thing, when we talk about reversible process, what happens to entropy?
I know that for adiabatic process the entropy change is 0 but too reversible then?

Pouyan said:
Thanks so much for the help but one thing, when we talk about reversible process, what happens to entropy?
I know that for adiabatic process the entropy change is 0 but too reversible then?
The entropy change is zero for a system experiencing an adiabatic reversible process. For a closed system experiencing an arbitrary process, the entropy change is equal to the entropy transferred into and out of the system via heat transfer at the system boundaries (Q/T at the boundary) plus the entropy increase resulting from irreversible entropy generation within the system. For a closed system experiencing an arbitrary reversible process, the entropy generation within the system is negligible, and only the entropy exchanges at the boundary are significant. For more on this, see Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran et al.

Likes Pouyan

1. What is useful work and how is it related to an ideal gas?

Useful work is the measure of the work done by a system that can be used to perform a task or produce a desired outcome. An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the gas laws and has no intermolecular forces. The relationship between useful work and an ideal gas is that an ideal gas can perform useful work by expanding and exerting pressure on its surroundings.

2. Can an ideal gas do useful work at constant temperature?

No, an ideal gas cannot perform useful work at constant temperature because according to the ideal gas law, pressure and volume are directly proportional at a constant temperature. This means that if the volume of the gas increases, the pressure decreases, and therefore no work is being done.

3. What is the difference between useful work and waste work?

Useful work is the work done by a system that can be used to perform a task or produce a desired outcome, while waste work is the work done by a system that cannot be used for any purpose. In an ideal gas, useful work is done when the gas expands and performs work on its surroundings, while waste work is done when the gas compresses and has work done on it.

4. How does the efficiency of an ideal gas compare to a real gas in terms of useful work?

An ideal gas is more efficient in terms of useful work compared to a real gas. This is because an ideal gas follows the gas laws perfectly and does not experience any intermolecular forces, allowing it to perform work without any energy loss. Real gases, on the other hand, have intermolecular forces that can decrease their efficiency and lead to energy loss in the form of waste work.

5. Can useful work be converted back into potential energy in an ideal gas?

Yes, in an ideal gas, useful work can be converted back into potential energy. This can happen when the gas is compressed and energy is stored in the form of potential energy. The potential energy can then be converted back into useful work when the gas expands again. This process is known as an adiabatic process and is used in various industrial applications.