Adding link to PF Forum thread post

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    link
In summary, you need to right-click on the post number you want to link to, and then select "copy link address". Then you need to insert the link into your post.
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
How can we add link to a particular post in PF thread?
You've linked to 2 different posts in the same thread, I don't understand what your problem is. Which post number are you wanting to link to? And where are you wanting to place this link, in a new post in the same thread? because we have a quote function.

Dear Evo
In my previous thread, I'd like to reply and referring to other post.
Just one link actually, not two. But when I test my answer and click the link, it always refers to different post.
I have two reply and in each of them I'd try to add a link, but it never succeed.
That's my problem.
"Quote" function will give many lines. It's just 1 link that I need.

Stephanus said:
Dear Evo
Just one link actually, not two. But when I test my answer and click the link, it always refers to different post.
I have two reply and in each of them I'd try to add a link, but it never succeed.
That's my problem.
"Quote" function will give many lines. It's just 1 link that I need.
Do you mean you only wish to quote a part of the post but not the entire post? Like this?

Stephanus said:

I did this by highlighting just the text I wanted to quote, when you do this, on the bottom right end of the text you highlighted, a quote/reply" will appear, click "reply", the quoted text will appear in a new post, either continue your post, or select the new quote and paste it in an existing post you are writing, "control X", will remove the quoted text from the new empty post if you don't need it there.

Likes Stephanus
And what if I want to tell the reader.
Read this post. So the read can click the link and read the entire post, without copy them to my reply.

Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
How can we add link to a particular post in PF thread?
I've tried
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/length-contraction.817911/#post-5134477
But, it always points to different post.

Thanks
When I click on the link above, it takes me to post #19 in the thread "Length contraction", which begins...
DaleSpam said:
The formulas for time dilation and length contraction are simplified special cases...
  1. Which post did you intend to link to?
  2. How did you create the link above?

Stephanus said:
And what if I want to tell the reader.
Read this post. So the read can click the link and read the entire post, without copy them to my reply.
It is a courtesy to quote the post or parts of the post you are responding to rather then sending the reader to an entirely different post and then have to find your post again to respond to you. Try to think of what is best for people reading your post, don't be sending them all over the place if you can simply quote the text in your post, that is how we prefer to have it done. Links should be to sources you wish to cite that are not part of PF.

Likes Stephanus
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/adding-link-to-pf-forum-thread-post.818577/#post-
DrGreg said:
When I click on the link above, it takes me to post #19 in the thread "Length contraction", which begins...
  1. Which post did you intend to link to?
  2. How did you create the link above?
First I hit reply, just as I did right now :smile:
And then I paste this text
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/adding-link-to-pf-forum-thread-post.818577/#post-
And I add your number above 5138343
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/adding-link-to-pf-forum-thread-post.818577/#post-5138343
And insert link.
But I did that twice and it points to different post rather then the one that I want.
But Evo has mentioned that it's best to quote the source of the post rather than sending your reader all over the place.
I think I'll follow her instruction.

If you add the same post number it will point to the same post. You can see the post number (and also copy the full URL) with the link in the upper right corner of each post (where the post number in the thread and the time are given).

Likes berkeman
Like this? #8

Say,... I want to link post number #7
Can you please add the link, but don't click "insert link" so I know the "PF Forum Language"

Right-click on "#7" or "x minutes ago" or "today at x:xx" (and so on), select "copy link address" (or however it is called in your browser), insert link into the post.

permalink.png

Likes berkeman
Stephanus said:
Yes, it works!:smile::wink:
Thanks!
Please do not use this instead of quoting, I'm serious. It is not what we want here. We want you to quote posts for the convenience of our members.

Evo said:
Please do not use this instead of quoting, I'm serious.
Okay, okay.

Stephanus said:
Okay, okay.
Thank you.

If you use the quote feature properly, there is no need to link to the full post also, because the quote already has such a link. Simply click on the upwards-pointing arrow next to "Stephanus [or whoever] said:" at the top of the quote. Try it here:

Stephanus said:

1. How do I add a link to a post on the PF Forum thread?

To add a link to a post on the PF Forum thread, simply copy and paste the link into the text box where you are composing your post. The link will automatically be converted into a clickable hyperlink.

2. Can I add multiple links to a single post on the PF Forum thread?

Yes, you can add multiple links to a single post on the PF Forum thread. Simply repeat the process of copying and pasting the links into the text box.

3. How do I ensure that the link I added is clickable?

To ensure that the link you added is clickable, make sure that the entire link is included in the text box and that it has the proper formatting (e.g. http://www.example.com). If the link is not clickable, double check the formatting and try again.

4. What if I want to add a link to a specific post within a thread?

You can add a link to a specific post within a thread by clicking on the timestamp of the post. This will direct you to the individual post's page, where you can copy the link from the address bar and paste it into your post.

5. Is there a character limit for links in PF Forum thread posts?

Currently, there is no character limit for links in PF Forum thread posts. However, it is recommended to keep links concise and relevant to the post's content to ensure readability for other forum users.