Addition of spin and degeneracy

In summary, this conversation discusses the values and degeneracies of the eigenvalues for the operators I2 and J2, as well as their commutativity with the operator H. The values for I, J, and H are determined using momentum addition, and the degeneracies are calculated based on the number of possible states for each operator. The concept of a complete set of commuting operators (CSCO) is also introduced and its application to the operators I2 and J2 is discussed. The degeneracy of I² is determined to be 16 based on the degeneracies of I and I².
Nico045

Homework Statement

S=1/2
I1=I2=1/2 (nuclear spin)

I=I1+I2
J=S+I

Homework Equations

H= a S . I1 + a S.I2

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Find the values of I, the eigenvalues of I2, their degree of degeneracy and show that [H,I2]=0Using momentum addition I get
I = 0 or 1
I2 has for eigenvalues : ħ2I(I+1)

degree of degeneracy :
for I=1 ==> d=3
for I=0 ==> d=1[H,I2]= [H, I1²] +[H,I2²] + 2 [H,I1I2] = [H, I1²] +[H,I2²]+ 2 I1 [H,I2] + 2 I2 [H,I1]

H= a S . I1 + a S.I2

I don't see how to calculate this since we have S.In

B) Find the values of J, the eigenvalues of J2, their degree of degeneracy and show that [H,J2]=0

J=S+I , it gives 2 values :
J= 1/2 { 1-1/2 // 0+1/2 }
J= 3/2 { 1+1/2 }
J2 has for eigenvalues : ħ2J(J+1)

degree of degeneracy :
J=1/2 ==> d=6
J=3/2 ==> d=2

[H,J2]= [H, I2] + [H,S2] + 2 [H,I.S]
same problemC) Find the eigenvalues of H= a ( S . I1 + S.I2) and their degeneracyI guess I have to use J2 :

S.I = S.I1 + S.I2 = 1/2 ( J^2 -S^2 -I^2 )

and the eigenvalues of H are : a * ħ2/2 ( J(J+1) - S(S+1) - I(I+1) )I am not sure to know how degeneracy is calculated for example : in (A) d(I) = 4 so d( I²) = 16 ?D) is {J2, J2z} forming a CSCO ? What about {I2,J2, J2z} ?

This concept isn't very clear to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I managed to solve a few things but the remaining problem is about degeneracy :

for I1 = I2 = 1/2
I=I1+I2

what are the degeneracies for I² ?
for I we have (2I1+1)*(2I2+1) = 2*2 = 4
but for I² is it just d(I) * d(I) = 16 ?

1. What is spin and degeneracy in quantum mechanics?

Spin is a fundamental property of subatomic particles that determines their intrinsic angular momentum. Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon where multiple quantum states have the same energy level.

2. How does addition of spin and degeneracy affect the energy levels of an atom?

The addition of spin and degeneracy can result in the splitting of energy levels, as different spin states have different energies. This is known as fine structure in atomic spectra.

3. Can spin and degeneracy be observed in macroscopic objects?

No, spin and degeneracy are quantum mechanical phenomena that are only observed at the atomic and subatomic level. They do not have a classical analog.

4. How does spin and degeneracy impact the stability of atoms?

Spin and degeneracy do not directly affect the stability of atoms. However, they can play a role in determining the electron configuration and therefore the chemical properties of an atom.

5. Is there a relationship between spin and degeneracy?

Yes, there is a relationship between spin and degeneracy. In some cases, spin can contribute to the degeneracy of energy levels. Additionally, particles with half-integer spin have a higher degeneracy than those with integer spin.