Adiabatic Compressor: Ideal Gas Temperature Change

In summary, the problem involves a mixture of hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide being compressed at 2.0 bar and 25 C with a discharge pressure of 6.0 bar. The overall flow rate and composition of the mixture are known, and the compressor operates adiabatically and reversibly. To calculate the discharge temperature, the specific heat capacities of the gases at constant pressure are needed. For diatomic gases, the heat capacity is 7/2*R, and for polyatomic gases like CO2, it is 4*R. The heat capacity of an ideal gas mixture is related to the heat capacity of each of its components by the equation C_{p(mixture)}=\sum C_{p(i)}
runningman19

Homework Statement

A mixture of hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide is being fed to a compressor at 2.0 bar and 25 C. The overall flow rate is 17.47 SCMS and its composition is 73.5 mol% H2, 13.7 mol% CO and the balance CO2 The compressor operates adiabatically and reversibly with a discharge pressure of 6.0 bar. Assume ideal gas mixture behavior

1. Calculate the compressor discharge temperature in C
You may assume that the specific heat capacities of the gasses at constant pressure are not a function of temperature and that they can be calculated using the following information. For diatomic (H2, CO): Cp = 7/2*R; for polyatomic CO2: Cp = 4*R where R = 8.314 J/mol K

Homework Equations

(1)[tex]\Delta U = -P\Delta V[/tex]
(2)[tex]\frac{T_1}{T_2} = (\frac{P_2}{P_1})^{R/C_p}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have not started any calculations yet. The biggest problem I am having is figuring out how having a mixture of diatomic and polyatomic molecules would affect temperature change. For example, if only diatomic compounds were present (e.g. H2 and CO), I could simply use equation 2 to calculate final temperature. How would I solve for final temperature with a combination of diatomic and polyatomic compounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the heat capacity of an ideal gas mixture related to the heat capacity of each of its components?

Chestermiller said:
How is the heat capacity of an ideal gas mixture related to the heat capacity of each of its components?
[tex]C_{p(mixture)}=\sum C_{p(i)}x_i[/tex]

Thank You.

What is an adiabatic compressor?

An adiabatic compressor is a type of compressor that operates without any heat exchange with its surroundings, meaning there is no heat transfer into or out of the compressor. This results in a change in temperature of the gas being compressed.

How does an adiabatic compressor work?

An adiabatic compressor works by compressing a gas using a piston or impeller. As the gas is compressed, its volume decreases, which causes an increase in pressure and temperature. This increase in temperature is due to the work done on the gas to compress it.

What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to adiabatic compression?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. This law states that for an ideal gas, the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of temperature and number of moles. In adiabatic compression, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the change in temperature of the gas as it is compressed.

What factors affect the temperature change in an adiabatic compressor?

The temperature change in an adiabatic compressor is affected by the initial temperature of the gas, the pressure and volume of the gas before and after compression, and the efficiency of the compressor itself. Additionally, the type of gas being compressed and any heat transfer between the gas and the surroundings can also affect the temperature change.

What are the practical applications of adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is used in various industries, such as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, gas turbines, and internal combustion engines. It is also used in the production of compressed air for industrial and commercial use. Adiabatic compression is also important in understanding thermodynamics and heat transfer processes in various systems.