Adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final pressure and change in enthalpy of an ideal monatomic gas undergoing an adiabatic expansion from initial pressure Po and volume Vo. The correct approach is using the equation pVγ=const for adiabatic processes, with T treated as constant for part b.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

An ideal monatomic gas has initial pressure Po and occupies initial volume Vo. The gas undergoes an adiabatic expansion in which the volume is doubled. Calculate in terms of Po and Vo

a) the final pressure of the gas

b) the change in its enthalpy during the expansion

Homework Equations

I posted two attachments with my attempted solutions. All the relevant equations are there. Just posting to see if anyone can spot anything wrong with my solutions. I feel fairly confident about part a, but not so much about part b.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• thermo hw.png
    thermo hw.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 794
  • thermo hw b.png
    thermo hw b.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 823
Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:
I feel fairly confident about part a, but not so much about part b.
In part b you treated T as constant during the process.

TSny said:
In part b you treated T as constant during the process.
Yeah that's the part I felt most uncomfortable about. Is this the right approach then, or do I have to go about it another way?

Elvis 123456789 said:
Yeah that's the part I felt most uncomfortable about. Is this the right approach then, or do I have to go about it another way?
Using the equation pVγ=const for adiabatic processes?

ehild said:
Using the equation pVγ=const for adiabatic processes?
yes that's it! thanks :)

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands without gaining or losing heat to its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas decreases as it expands due to the decrease in internal energy.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas. It is assumed to have no intermolecular forces and its particles are considered to be point masses with no volume.

3. How is adiabatic expansion different from isothermal expansion?

Adiabatic expansion occurs when a gas expands without any heat exchange, while isothermal expansion occurs when a gas expands at a constant temperature. Adiabatic expansion results in a decrease in temperature, while isothermal expansion results in no change in temperature.

4. What is the equation for adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas?

The equation for adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas is PV^γ = constant, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, and γ is the ratio of specific heats (Cp/Cv) for the gas.

5. What are some real-life applications of adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas?

Adiabatic expansion is commonly used in the compression and expansion of gases in engines and turbines. It is also used in the cooling of air in air conditioners and refrigerators. Additionally, it is an important concept in meteorology for understanding atmospheric processes such as cloud formation and thunderstorms.