Lorentz invariance from Dirac spinor

In summary, the conversation is discussing the operator that mediates proton decay in SUSY theory without R-parity conservation. This operator, which includes the scalar superpartner of the down quark, does not transform under Lorentz transformation. This leads to a discussion about the Lorentz invariance of terms involving the scalar superpartner and how they can be written in terms of bar spinors. The conversation also references Tab. 3 of a specific paper for further context.
d8586
I have a really naive question that I didn't manage to explain to myself. If I consider SUSY theory without R-parity conservation there exist an operator that mediates proton decay. This operator is

$$u^c d^c \tilde d^c $$

where ##\tilde d## is the scalar superpartner of down quark. Now, being a scalar, this field doesn't transform under Lorentz transformation. This means that the term ##u^c d^c## is Lorentz invariant. Being u and d 4-component Dirac spinor this has to be read as

$$(u^c)^T d^c$$

in order to proper contract rows and columns.

This means that also ##u^T d## should be Lorentz invariant...

However, Lorentz invariant are build with bar spinors, i.e.

##\bar \psi \psi## is Lorentz invariant

while I don't see how

##\psi^T \psi## can be Lorentz invariant.. Clearly I am missing something really basic here..

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want people to help you, I think it's a good idea to share some references. Naively, I don't see how you term can be Lorentz-invariant either, but without reference or context that's all I can say.

You are right, sorry. I am looking for example at the lower right box of Tab. 3 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1008.4884.pdf
In the B-violating operator I have terms that goes (neglecting colour and SU(2) indices, and noting that Dirac indices are always contracted within the brakets) like

$$d^T C u$$

and similar. This is what I meant

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of nature should remain the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or orientation.

2. How does Dirac spinor relate to Lorentz invariance?

Dirac spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the behavior of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) in a relativistic framework. They are invariant under Lorentz transformations, meaning they remain the same for all observers in different frames of reference.

3. Why is Lorentz invariance important in physics?

Lorentz invariance is crucial in modern physics because it is a fundamental symmetry that underlies many of our current theories, including the Standard Model of particle physics and Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also allows for consistent predictions and measurements across different frames of reference.

4. How is Lorentz invariance tested experimentally?

Lorentz invariance can be tested through various experiments, such as high-energy particle collisions, precision measurements of atomic clocks, and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation. These experiments look for any discrepancies or violations of Lorentz invariance, which could indicate new physics beyond our current understanding.

5. Are there any proposed theories that violate Lorentz invariance?

While the vast majority of current theories in physics uphold Lorentz invariance, there are some proposed theories that suggest possible violations, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. However, these theories are still under investigation and have not yet been confirmed or widely accepted.