Adjusting LM555 timer frequency

In summary, the conversation is about finding a circuit for a bi-polar LED driver and determining the frequency for the flash rate. It is mentioned that the 33K resistor and 10uF capacitor set the flash rate and increasing either will slow the flashes. The suggestion to find a 555 spec sheet or application note online is given to help with calculating the timing. It is also suggested to look for other forums where people are discussing LED flashers and share the schematic.
bob987
I found the following circuit http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/bi-polar-led-driver.html that suits the task I am trying to achieve. My only issue is I don't know what the frequency would be or how to change it. Is the frequency determined by the cpacitor and the 33K resistor or is it more complex. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes the 33K resistor and 10uF capacitor set the flash rate. Increasing either will slow the flashes.

Find a 555 spec sheet or application note online. They usually have an extensive section about calculating the timing, and some convenient graphs that will get you into the ball-park.

Also look at this forum and find the other folks who are trying to make led flashers and send them that schematic...I've reached my 555 answer limit for the week...

1. What is a LM555 timer and how does it work?

The LM555 timer is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that is commonly used as a timer or oscillator in electronic circuits. It works by producing pulses of a specific frequency or duration based on the values of external resistors and capacitors.

2. How do I adjust the frequency of a LM555 timer?

The frequency of a LM555 timer can be adjusted by changing the values of the external resistors and capacitors connected to the IC. Increasing the resistance will decrease the frequency, while increasing the capacitance will increase the frequency.

3. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a LM555 timer?

The frequency of a LM555 timer can be calculated using the formula: f = 1.44 / (R1 + 2R2)C, where R1 is the resistance connected to pin 7, R2 is the resistance connected to pin 6, and C is the capacitance connected to pin 6.

4. How precise is the frequency of a LM555 timer?

The frequency of a LM555 timer is dependent on the accuracy of the external resistors and capacitors used, as well as the tolerances of the IC itself. Generally, the frequency can vary by a few percentage points.

5. Can I use a LM555 timer to generate different types of waveforms?

Yes, the LM555 timer can be used to generate not only square waveforms, but also other types of waveforms such as triangular, sawtooth, and pulse waves. This can be achieved by adjusting the values of the external components and using different pins on the IC.