Adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate

In summary: Of course, as you will see in your posts, there are many pitfalls that can occur even with careful design and execution, so it is always important to monitor the engine performance and make necessary corrections.Best,Roy S. Ramirez
Roy S Ramirez
Hello everybody,

I'm designing a gas pressure feed system for a hydrogen peroxide - ethanol rocket engine, and after analyzing the devised injection plate, I noticed it is very sensitive to the propellants' pressure drops and discharge coefficients. Once the plate is manufactured, the only parameter I could adjust to get the correct flow would be the pressure drop (dP), which, as I mentioned, affects the engine's performance significantly with variations as low as 1 psi. How can I keep track of the actual dP's once I put everything together, and adjust the input pressure to achieve the desired dP's?
Roy S. Ramirez
AAE Sophomore - Purdue University

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Roy S Ramirez said:
Hello everybody,

I'm designing a gas pressure feed system for a hydrogen peroxide - ethanol rocket engine, and after analyzing the devised injection plate, I noticed it is very sensitive to the propellants' pressure drops and discharge coefficients. Once the plate is manufactured, the only parameter I could adjust to get the correct flow would be the pressure drop (dP), which, as I mentioned, affects the engine's performance significantly with variations as low as 1 psi. How can I keep track of the actual dP's once I put everything together, and adjust the input pressure to achieve the desired dP's?
Roy S. Ramirez
AAE Sophomore - Purdue University
Hi Roy,

We need to make sure that you have the background to do this type of project safely (and we have to be careful not to allow threads about dangerous activities that other readers with less experience may then attempt themselves).

Please send me a message (click on my avatar and select Start a Conversation) with your background and a description of your previous projects. Also, do you have a mentor there with you helping you to work on this project, or are you all on your own? Where are you planning on storing these materials and doing the construction? Are you a member of your local rocketry club?

Here's your New Member Introduction Post:
Roy S Ramirez said:
Hello everybody, my name is Roy Ramirez. I'm an aerospace engineering sophomore at Purdue University, and my dream is to contribute to the globalization of space by developing more accessible space technologies.

berkeman said:
We need to make sure that you have the background to do this type of project safely (and we have to be careful not to allow threads about dangerous activities that other readers with less experience may then attempt themselves).
After a very nice private conversation with Roy, this thread is re-opened. Roy definitely has the background and qualifications to be working on this project at the university level, and he will mention safety issues and how he handles them in his posts (for the benefit of less experienced PF members and readers). Thanks Roy. :smile:

Likes Bystander
Roy S Ramirez said:
How can I keep track of the actual dP's once I put everything together, and adjust the input pressure to achieve the desired dP's?
It would appear from the discussion in your post that the critical issue is actually maintaining a constant discharge pressure; if this is true then referencing that pressure to the ideal design pressure, rather than the dP, should be the input to a controller that adjusts your input pressure accordingly.

1. How does adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate affect the injection process?

Adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate can affect the flow rate and distribution of the injected material. Higher pressure drops can lead to a faster flow rate and better distribution, while lower pressure drops may result in a slower flow rate and uneven distribution.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the appropriate pressure drop for an injection plate?

The type of material being injected, the desired flow rate and distribution, and the design of the injection plate are important factors to consider when determining the appropriate pressure drop. Other factors such as the viscosity and temperature of the material may also play a role.

3. Can adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate improve the quality of the injection molded product?

Yes, adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate can improve the quality of the injection molded product. By optimizing the flow rate and distribution of the injected material, it can lead to a more consistent and higher quality product.

4. Is it possible to adjust the pressure drop in an injection plate during the injection molding process?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the pressure drop in an injection plate during the injection molding process. Many injection molding machines have the capability to adjust the pressure drop in real-time, allowing for fine-tuning and optimization of the injection process.

5. Are there any risks associated with adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate?

Adjusting the pressure drop in an injection plate can potentially lead to flow instabilities or material degradation if not done properly. It is important to carefully monitor and adjust the pressure drop within the recommended range to avoid any potential risks.