Advanced functions (precalculus)

In summary: Therefore, the average pollution level of the whole thing will be very close to the concentration of the polluted water, which is 30 g/L.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a concentration function and its behavior over time. The solution involves solving for t and graphing the equation, which leads to a concentration of 30 g/L at infinity due to the large amount of polluted water being added. The expert suggests understanding the concept behind the answer and explains how the concentration reaches 30 g/L.
MartynaJ
Homework Statement
After a train derailment in Northern Ontario, the concentration, C, in grams per litre, of a pollutant after t minutes in a 5 000 000 L pond can be modelled by the function C(t)=30t/(200 000+t) where a pollutant concentration of 30 g/L flows into the pond at a rate of 25 L/min.
1) When a concentration level of 0.05 g/L in the pond is reached, the fish stock will be irreversibly damaged. When will this occur?
2) What happens to the concentration over time?
Relevant Equations
See above please
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-05 at 2.07.57 PM.jpeg

This is my attempt so far:
  1. ##0.05=\frac{30t}{200000+t}## then I solved for t. And I got 333.88 min. I feel like this is way too simple of a solution and I didn't use all of what's given in the problem.
  2. For part 2 of the problem it asks, what happens to the concentration over time. I tried to graph the equation and my graphs appears to have a slope of zero. But if I divide the numerator and denominator by time, I get: ##C(t)=\frac{30}{\frac{200000}{t}+1}##, then making t--> infinity, the 200000/t will approach zero and the concentration will be 30.
Please let me know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably feel like you haven't used everything in the problem because you're wondering where e.g. the 5000000 L went, or the 25 L/min. They're actually secretly in the C(t) function, if you try to derive it yourself you'll see they basically canceled a 25 from the numerator and denominator.

I think both your answers look correct. It might be worth trying to understand why the answer to part b is 30 g/L beyond just the math. Are you able to describe it in words?

Office_Shredder said:
You probably feel like you haven't used everything in the problem because you're wondering where e.g. the 5000000 L went, or the 25 L/min. They're actually secretly in the C(t) function, if you try to derive it yourself you'll see they basically canceled a 25 from the numerator and denominator.

I think both your answers look correct. It might be worth trying to understand why the answer to part b is 30 g/L beyond just the math. Are you able to describe it in words?

Yes exactly my point... for the first part, I didn't really use much of what was given in the problem. And for the second part I am not sure id I am able to explain in words why it's 30. I am also not too sure if ##\frac{200000}{t}## approaches zero as ##t## approaches infinity just because 200000 is a large number in itself...

200,000 is small compared to, say 200000000000000000. Which as t goes to infinity it will eventually get larger than. For any choice of constant c, c/t goes to 0 as t goes to infinity.

For why the last part is 30. You start with some finite amount of pure water. You pour in water that's polluted at a concentration of 30g/L. The pollution level of the whole thing is going to be some average of the 0g / L clean water and the 30g/L polluted water, depending on how much of the water is clean vs dirty. As time goes to infinity, we keep adding more and more polluted water, so the amount of clean water is negligible in size compared to the polluted water.

• Love
Likes MartynaJ

What are advanced functions in precalculus?

Advanced functions in precalculus are mathematical functions that are more complex and advanced than basic functions. They involve more advanced concepts such as logarithms, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

Why are advanced functions important in precalculus?

Advanced functions are important in precalculus because they lay the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts in calculus and other higher level math courses. They also have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common types of advanced functions?

Some common types of advanced functions include logarithmic functions, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and polynomial functions. Other types include rational functions, inverse functions, and composite functions.

How do I graph advanced functions?

To graph advanced functions, you first need to understand the basic shape and behavior of the function. Then, you can use techniques such as finding the x and y intercepts, using transformations, and plotting points to create an accurate graph. You can also use graphing calculators or online graphing tools for more complex functions.

What are some real-world applications of advanced functions?

Advanced functions have many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, analyzing financial data, predicting weather patterns, and designing structures in engineering. They are also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model natural phenomena and make predictions.