Advantages of Circular vs Cylindrical Inductor Core?

In summary, the circular core design has an advantage in terms of field strength relative to input current, but it requires a more specialized winding machine.
WorldWiz
All the inductor components I’ve see are made with a circular core instead of a cylindrical core. Are there any advantages to this design in terms of field strength relative to input current (assuming the same number of turns of wire)?

In the field strength equation, is “coil length” always perpendicular to the wire wrapping, and therefore would be longer in the circular design than in a cylindrical design of the same thickness?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
WorldWiz said:
All the inductor components I’ve see are made with a circular core instead of a cylindrical core.
Sorry, what the heck is a cicular core? Can you post some links and images?

berkeman said:
Sorry, what the heck is a cicular core? Can you post some links and images?
Sorry for my lack of terminology. Basically the two wrapping styles below:
1668276557845.png

1668276584435.png

Ah, thanks. First image is a ferrite toroid (closed magnetic path), and second image is a ferrite bar (open magnetic path).

Can you tell us your thoughts? What kind of differences would you expect in the charactistics like inductance, saturation current, and external B-field coupling for these two different construction techniques?

berkeman said:
Ah, thanks. First image is a ferrite toroid (closed magnetic path), and second image is a ferrite bar (open magnetic path).

Can you tell us your thoughts? What kind of differences would you expect in the charactistics like inductance, saturation current, and external B-field coupling for these two different construction techniques?
My guess is that the coil length, l, is measured perpendicularly to the wrap direction, so therefore would be greater in the toroid, but the bar allows for more layers of wire, and so would ultimately have a higher possible maximum for achievable field strength?

WorldWiz said:
My guess is that the coil length, l, is measured perpendicularly to the wrap direction, so therefore would be greater in the toroid, but the bar allows for more layers of wire, and so would ultimately have a higher possible maximum for achievable field strength?
Those aren't really the considerations for using a toroid core or a bar core to build an inductor. It is true that the bar core is much easier to wrap versus the toroid, whether you use a bobbin or not on the Bar. Winding a toroid generally takes a pretty specialized winding machine, especially if you are putting on a lot of turns.

The more important distinctions are that the toroid is a closed magnetic path, so there are generally no external B-fields generated by the currents flowing in the coil on the toroidal core. That is important in devices where you want to minimize the B-field coupling out of your magnetic components like this.

If you use a full-circumferential wind on the toroid like you show in your picture, the inductor (or transformer) is also much less susceptible to external B-fields coupling interference voltages into the toroidal device.

You have to be more careful about saturation currents in the toroidal devices generally, since there is no "air gap" to increase the Reluctance of the magnetic path.

Lots of good Google search terms in my reply above... :wink:

berkeman said:
Those aren't really the considerations for using a toroid core or a bar core to build an inductor. It is true that the bar core is much easier to wrap versus the toroid, whether you use a bobbin or not on the Bar. Winding a toroid generally takes a pretty specialized winding machine, especially if you are putting on a lot of turns.

The more important distinctions are that the toroid is a closed magnetic path, so there are generally no external B-fields generated by the currents flowing in the coil on the toroidal core. That is important in devices where you want to minimize the B-field coupling out of your magnetic components like this.

If you use a full-circumferential wind on the toroid like you show in your picture, the inductor (or transformer) is also much less susceptible to external B-fields coupling interference voltages into the toroidal device.

You have to be more careful about saturation currents in the toroidal devices generally, since there is no "air gap" to increast the Reluctance of the magnetic path.

Lots of good Google search terms in my reply above... :wink:
Ah, sorry, I didn’t clarify that I only intend to make an inductor coil to accelerate a ball bearing along a wire track (not a coil gun, btw) in my personal project, and I just want to maximize power use efficiency.

I will look into the terms you provided though. Thanks.

WorldWiz said:
Ah, sorry, I didn’t clarify that I only intend to make an inductor coil to accelerate a ball bearing along a wire track (not a coil gun, btw) in my personal project, and I just want to maximize power use efficiency.

I will look into the terms you provided though. Thanks.
Okay, that is completely different.

Do you want to pull or push the ball bearing? To pull it in, you would use a configuration like a Solenoid. Pushing it away is more complicated, since if the ball bearing is unmagnetized, you can pretty much only attract it with a diverging magnetic field.

berkeman said:
Okay, that is completely different.

Do you want to pull or push the ball bearing? To pull it in, you would use a configuration like a Solenoid. Pushing it away is more complicated, since if the ball bearing is unmagnetized, you can pretty much only attract it with a diverging magnetic field.
I want to pull it in. My initial plan was a solenoid-like coil wrap with the tracks running through the coil, but then I started thinking it might better to place the coil beneath the track to ensure that there’s some force holding the ball on the tracks. Either way, I expect to be testing about 24v with 10-15a, which I think (?) should be fine with 20 gauge copper wire given the sort activation duration of the coil (activated by an n-channel MOSFET triggered by a PNP inductive proximity sensor).

WorldWiz said:
I want to pull it in.
Yes, a solenoid to pull in a ferrous object (rod or ball) is an open air core coil, like the one shown below. There is no value to a core inside the coil, since you just want to have a big diverging magnetic field to attract the metal ball into the coil area.

1668284294055.png

https://www.arborsci.com/products/solenoid-air-core

20 gauge Copper wire is rated for 1.47Amps continuous and will melt around 58Amps in free air.

Since the wire will be wound in a solenoid, there will be some heat buildup in the inner layers. This may be enough to damage the insulation and cause some shorted turns. Wire with high temperature insulation is available, common hi-temp insulations are Glass cloth, Teflon and Asbestos.

Both Teflon and Asbestos have their own potential drawbacks though.
If Teflon gets hot enough to degrade, the fumes (hydrogen fluoride, carbonyl fluoride, and others) are highly toxic (https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/8301#section=Toxicity-Summary).

Less dangerous in small doses are Asbestos fibers released in handling that can be inhaled and eventually cause lung damage (Asbestosis).
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asbestosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354637

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please let us know how the project turns out!

WorldWiz said:
How about buying a pre-made kit to experiment with and modify to your specific use?

Linear.jpg

Circular.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is a circular inductor core?

A circular inductor core is a type of core used in inductors, which is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. The circular inductor core is a circular-shaped piece of material, such as ferrite or iron, that is used to concentrate and direct the magnetic field in the inductor.

2. What is a cylindrical inductor core?

A cylindrical inductor core is another type of core used in inductors. It is a cylindrical-shaped piece of material, such as ferrite or iron, that is used to concentrate and direct the magnetic field in the inductor. Unlike the circular core, the cylindrical core has a longer and narrower shape.

3. What are the advantages of using a circular inductor core?

One advantage of using a circular inductor core is that it allows for a more compact design. The circular shape allows for a higher packing density, meaning more inductors can be placed in a smaller space. Additionally, circular cores have a lower magnetic reluctance, which means they can store more energy for a given size compared to cylindrical cores.

4. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical inductor core?

One advantage of using a cylindrical inductor core is that it has a higher inductance per turn compared to a circular core. This is because the longer shape of the cylindrical core allows for more turns of wire to be wrapped around it, increasing the inductance. Additionally, cylindrical cores are easier to manufacture and are often more cost-effective.

5. Can circular and cylindrical inductor cores be used interchangeably?

In most cases, circular and cylindrical inductor cores can be used interchangeably. However, the choice of core shape may affect the inductor's performance in terms of inductance, size, and cost. It is important to consider the specific requirements of the circuit and choose the appropriate core shape accordingly.