Generating electromagnetic fields with an electromagnet

In summary, to generate a 500 microtesla magnetic field with a radius of 8 cm and a length of 3 cm, a current of 50 mA is required.
Rydyn
Hello,

I am working on a science project to generate electromagnetic fields. From what I understand, the simplest way to do that is to coil copper wire around an iron core. My initial goal is to create a magnetic field with a maximum strength of 500 microtesla. Can this be accomplished if I have a maximum input current of 50 mA, or do I need a higher input current? The other parameters that I wish to use are a radius of no more than 8 cm and a length of no more than 3 cm.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you, that helps a lot. I guess my next question is about the windings. Given my other specifications, I will need a high turn density. Is there a maximum turn density that can be used?

Rydyn said:
I will need a high turn density.
What makes you say that? From that calculator that @jim hardy linked:

upload_2018-11-4_10-57-53.png

That is 0.1/0.000500 or 200 times more than your requirement.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_10-57-53.png
    upload_2018-11-4_10-57-53.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 359
Likes jim hardy
Rydyn said:
I will need a high turn density.

Always check your intuition against the math.
Otherwise your intuition never gets any better.

Ok I think I am getting it now. One last question. The equation gives the strength at the center of the solenoid. Does that mean at the end of the solenoid at the center of the radius(r=0)? From that point, the field strength decreases by z^2 away from the solenoid when r is held at 0, right?

Rydyn said:
Does that mean at the end of the solenoid at the center of the radius(r=0)? From that point, the field strength decreases by z^2 away from the solenoid when r is held at 0, right?

You're asking about the behavior near the end?
upload_2018-11-4_15-36-1.png

To achieve precision is a complicated calculation
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19980227402.pdf
you might calculate a few points using that NASA note and try a east squares fit on them
.and i don't pretend to have ever done it

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_15-36-1.png
    upload_2018-11-4_15-36-1.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 367
Likes jim hardy

1. How does an electromagnet generate an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnet generates an electromagnetic field by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire into a solenoid shape and increasing the number of turns, the magnetic field becomes stronger. This results in a stronger electromagnetic field.

2. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnetic field generated by an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnetic field generated by an electromagnet is affected by several factors. These include the number of turns in the wire, the amount of current flowing through the wire, the material of the core, and the distance between the electromagnet and the object it is trying to magnetize.

3. Can an electromagnet generate a constant electromagnetic field?

No, an electromagnet can only generate an electromagnetic field when there is an electric current flowing through it. Once the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears. However, the strength of the electromagnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the current flow.

4. What are some practical applications of generating electromagnetic fields with an electromagnet?

Electromagnets have numerous practical applications, such as in motors and generators, speakers, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in everyday objects like doorbells, refrigerators, and credit cards.

5. Can an electromagnet generate different types of electromagnetic fields?

Yes, an electromagnet can generate different types of electromagnetic fields depending on the frequency and strength of the electric current. These fields can range from radio waves and microwaves to infrared and visible light, and even X-rays and gamma rays.