Advice for my first course in Discrete Signal Processing?

In summary, the conversation is about an individual's upcoming experience in a one term graduate course on DSP, using the 4th edition of Proakis. They are seeking advice from anyone with experience in the subject and considering checking a Coursera course for more insight. They also mention the possibility of using software such as MATLAB or Python, and the use of z-transform and matrix powers in the course.
snatchingthepi
Summary:: I'm about to take my first course in DSP. It is a one term graduate course using the 4th edition of Proakis.

I'm about to take my first course in DSP. It is a one term graduate EE course using the 4th edition of Proakis. Does anyone with experience in this have useful advice for such a course? Having never taken such a class, I don't really know what to expect from the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a good chance you will be using MATLAB toolboxes or Python, or other software for homework. You may try to get a head's up from the prof as to what software will be used, so you can become familiar with it. I never used Proakis, but I am a bit familiar with Oppenheim and Schaefer. I cannot say anything about Proakis but it is probably newer. I bought the Oppenheim and Schaefer in 1984.

My understanding is z-transform is used a lot. Matrix powers replace theMatrix exponential, etc.

Likes snatchingthepi
Thank you both very much.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Discrete Signal Processing?

Discrete Signal Processing is a branch of digital signal processing that deals with the analysis, manipulation, and representation of discrete-time signals. It involves the use of mathematical algorithms and techniques to process and extract information from digital signals.

2. Why is Discrete Signal Processing important?

Discrete Signal Processing plays a crucial role in various fields such as telecommunications, audio and image processing, control systems, and biomedical engineering. It allows for the efficient and accurate processing of digital signals, which are prevalent in modern technology.

3. What are some common techniques used in Discrete Signal Processing?

Some common techniques used in Discrete Signal Processing include discrete-time Fourier transform, z-transform, digital filtering, and spectral analysis. These techniques are used to analyze and manipulate discrete-time signals in both time and frequency domains.

4. What skills are necessary for a first course in Discrete Signal Processing?

A first course in Discrete Signal Processing typically requires a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and complex numbers. Knowledge of programming and basic signal processing concepts is also helpful.

5. How can I apply Discrete Signal Processing in real-world applications?

Discrete Signal Processing has a wide range of applications in various fields such as audio and video compression, speech recognition, radar and sonar systems, and medical imaging. By understanding the fundamentals of Discrete Signal Processing, you can apply these techniques to solve real-world problems and develop innovative solutions.