Advice Needed: Pursuing Physics Career from Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the individual is a mechanical engineering student from a developing country who is interested in pursuing a career in physics. However, they face obstacles such as financial dependence, conflicts with family members, and uncertainty about their undergraduate education. Their high school performance in physics was exceptional, but they were forced to study engineering by their parents due to financial concerns. They regret their decision and are now considering transferring to a research university for a physics program, which would require an additional 2 years of undergrad and may create tension with their family. They are also concerned about missing out on opportunities for studying abroad and being less prepared for research work if they continue with their current degree. Ultimately, they are seeking advice on how to handle their family situation and make the
RichardParker
Summary:
I'm a mechanical engineering student from a developing country who wants to pursue an academic career in physics. However, there are several obstacles such as financial dependence, conflicts of interest with family members, and the probability of doing undergraduate education in mechanical engineering vs physics, among others. I need your advice on the situation.

Background:
Right now I'm interested in physics (my high school average in physics was 96/100) as well as chemistry, math, and philosophy. However, I tend to perform poorly on other subjects so I never got into my first choice of university.

I got a accepted in a biology program when I was 16. I found the coursework very boring, different from what high school biology made me imagine, and we don't have a laboratory. After a year I decided to change major.

My parents forced me to take engineering, telling me that everything had been discovered and that there is no point in studying the sciences further. My idealism wouldn't take me anywhere, he says, and my duty is to pay for my younger sibling's education. My father has been saying that I was just wasting his money; I thought I'd get a better chance on repaying him with an engineering degree. So I switched... and regretted doing so.

I'm about to finish my first yr in mech. engineering and I can't imagine how the next years would be. It's ugly here. The welding, the combustion engines, the people, the professors who refuse to acknowledge that theirs is not the only mind that works in the classroom, the smell... It's just not what I'd like to spend my 5 yrs on. I think my mind is tunneled to thinking that I'm a science guy. I like it that way. It's something that I can enjoy and be curious/inquiring about and do it for the sake of doing it.

My GPA is fairly high, I'm at the top of my class in BS Biology as well as now in ME, and I'm eligible for transfer to a research university (*). It's the best university in the country and also acknowledge internationally (i.e. some undergrads of the physics program are doing their PhD work at world-class universities like Princeton, MIT, Purdue, etc.)

Problems:
1. The physics program that I would be transferring to is a 5-year program. That means 7 years in undergrad, 2 yrs of my father's money wasted, and not fulfilling my utilitarian duty to the family.

2. My parents will be doing the paying, I can't work, there isn't work available for youngsters like me in this country. It will be a problem bringing it up to my parents. One time I suggested my disinterest in engineering, they said ugly words.

3. If I continue my degree in ME, I would never have a chance to study abroad. Though I still would have the chance to do doctoral work at *. Given I pursue doctoral work at *, it would be pointless/a waste of time to study ME courses since I wouldn't use it later. And I wouldn't be equally prepared for research work as other BSc Physics students.

4. I haven't taken any lecture class on engineering so I don't know if its interesting or not. They don't allow us to take some until 3rd year. I've been taking an automotive and refrigeration technology lab class since last sem, it's tedious. Thanks so much for the patience to read this far! :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't really see where anyone can give you advice. Your family situation is something that only you can deal with. If switching degrees will put your relationship with your family in jeopardy, you are going to have to decide if it's worth it to you to have that stigma hanging over you possibly for the rest of your life.

1. What are the key differences between a career in physics and mechanical engineering?

The main difference between a career in physics and mechanical engineering is the focus of study. Physics is a broad field that deals with understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while mechanical engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that involves designing, analyzing, and manufacturing mechanical systems. Additionally, physics careers typically involve more theoretical and research-based work, while mechanical engineering careers involve more practical and hands-on applications.

2. Can I pursue a career in physics with a degree in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in physics with a degree in mechanical engineering. While a physics degree is typically preferred for most physics-related jobs, a degree in mechanical engineering can provide a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills that are essential for a career in physics. You may also consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics to further specialize in the field.

3. What steps can I take to transition from mechanical engineering to a career in physics?

If you have a degree in mechanical engineering and are interested in pursuing a career in physics, there are a few steps you can take to make the transition smoother. First, consider taking courses in physics to gain a better understanding of the subject. You can also participate in research projects or internships related to physics to gain practical experience and make connections in the field. Additionally, networking with professionals in the physics industry and joining relevant organizations can also help you in your career transition.

4. What job opportunities are available for someone with a background in both physics and mechanical engineering?

Having a background in both physics and mechanical engineering can open up a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. Some examples include research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and renewable energy, as well as roles in data analysis, consulting, and teaching.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in physics?

Some essential skills for a successful career in physics include strong mathematical skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Additionally, having excellent communication skills and being able to think creatively and adapt to new situations are also important for a career in physics.