Advice on how to study for university

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to study for university, specifically for an engineering course. They initially planned to use information from PDFs and YouTube videos, but did not have success and ended up failing a test due to lack of time to study. They are wondering if they should rely solely on given topics or also use external sources. Others have advised them to put in more time and effort (possibly up to 40 hours a week) and to use effective learning strategies. The individual is seeking further advice and guidance.
REEEEEEEE
Hello I need adviece on how to study for university .
I am doing an engeneering course at university and I thought I could write down the info given in the pdf the get some more information on youtube and then I would start solving problems but I did not have success doing that and I just failed a test due to lack of time to study. So I thought I should seek advice rom the wise and ask here how do you study / think I should study.
also do you think I should rely only on the given topics and not on external sources?
Your time is deeply appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
REEEEEEEE said:
but I did not have success doing that and I just failed a test due to lack of time to study.
Then make the time to study.

Seriously. There are study tips and tricks that you can find on literally thousands of youtube videos and google search results, and I encourage you to look into those, but the one thing I rarely see in any of them is to just put in the time you need. Successful musicians don't get good by playing 30 minutes a day, they put in hours and hours of time.

REEEEEEEE said:
also do you think I should rely only on the given topics and not on external sources?
Start with you notes and you book and if you can't figure something out using them then look elsewhere.

Likes CalcNerd, vela, REEEEEEEE and 1 other person
REEEEEEEE said:
Hello I need adviece on how to study for university .
Welcome to PF. I went from a small high school where I was salutatorian without having to study at all to a University of California campus where everybody was very smart, and I did poorly in my first semester. I realized that I did not have very good study skills and needed to work a lot harder if I wanted to succeed, and by changing my study habits I did much better through the rest of my undergrad and graduate studies.

So you need to be willing to put in the effort. One way to do that is to strive to solve every problem in the textbook sections that you are studying. If there are lots of repetitive problems, you don't need to solve them if they appear to be similar to others that you have worked through, but you for sure should try to solve the last questions in each section since they are typically the hardest.

You also need to be willing to devote lots of quality time to your studies. I ended up spending close to 40 hours per week outside of class working problem sets and studying and solving extra problems. Are you willing to put in that amount of work?

Likes dlgoff, CalcNerd, REEEEEEEE and 1 other person
berkeman said:

So you need to be willing to put in the effort. One way to do that is to strive to solve every problem in the textbook sections that you are studying. If there are lots of repetitive problems, you don't need to solve them if they appear to be similar to others that you have worked through, but you for sure should try to solve the last questions in each section since they are typically the hardest.

You also need to be willing to devote lots of quality time to your studies. I ended up spending close to 40 hours per week outside of class working problem sets and studying and solving extra problems. Are you willing to put in that amount of work?
Reason for bolding is to emphasize effort and time to spend.

At times, we may find some people or students who seem to be either brilliant or genius. But, just maybe, those people or students are putting in far more time and effort than others are aware.

Likes REEEEEEEE and berkeman
One advice I was given: "You are going to suffer, hold the line, don't give up"
Best wishes!

Likes REEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEE said:
I am doing an engineering course at university and I thought I could write down the info given in the pdf the get some more information on youtube and then I would start solving problems but I did not have success doing that
Does this mean you weren't able to do the problems? Or were you able to solve the problems but still did poorly on the test?

REEEEEEEE said:
and I just failed a test due to lack of time to study.
As the others have said, this seems easy to fix: make the time to study. But that's not the whole story. You also have to use the time effectively. Make sure you're using learning strategies that work for you. If you realize a method isn't working well for you, don't keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. Commit to trying something different.

REEEEEEEE said:
So I thought I should seek advice rom the wise and ask here how do you study / think I should study.
Your time is deeply appreciated.
Thank you.
It depends. On the one hand, if you're using YouTube videos to avoid reading the textbook (because you find it hard to understand), that might not be a very good habit to get into. You do need to learn how to read and learn from textbooks, and it does take practice. On the other hand, if you're using the videos to clarify some muddy points or perhaps to gain yet another perspective on the material, it probably helps.

Likes REEEEEEEE and berkeman

1. What are some effective study strategies for university?

Effective study strategies for university include creating a study schedule, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, actively engaging with the material, using mnemonic devices, and seeking help when needed.

2. How can I manage my time better while studying for university?

To manage your time better while studying for university, you can prioritize tasks, eliminate distractions, set specific goals for each study session, and make use of time management tools such as calendars and planners.

3. Is it better to study alone or in a group for university?

It depends on the individual's learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone and having control over their study environment, while others may find group study sessions helpful for discussing and clarifying concepts.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying for university?

To stay motivated while studying for university, it can be helpful to set realistic goals, reward yourself for completing tasks, take breaks when needed, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of studying.

5. Are there any specific tips for studying for exams in university?

Some tips for studying for exams in university include starting studying early, reviewing notes and materials regularly, practicing with past exams or sample questions, and getting enough rest and nutrition before the exam.