Advice on Undergraduate Education.

In summary, the individual just got out of the Navy and has an AS in electronics engineering. They are considering a program at Excelsior College that would turn their Navy Nuke experience into a BS in Nuclear Technology. However, they are unsure if this would be beneficial for their ultimate goal of obtaining a PhD in Astrophysics. They are concerned about using their GI bill for graduate studies and whether a BS in Nuclear Tech would provide enough physics courses for a physics graduate program. The expert explains that graduate school in physics is typically free and that a BS in Nuclear Tech would not provide enough physics courses for a PhD in physics.
oooo35980
Hey, so I just got out of the Navy, where I was a Nuclear Electricians Mate, I also have an AS in electronics engineering. There is this college called Excelsior which basically takes your navy Nuke experience and turns it into a BS in Nuclear Technology in a couple semesters. Problem is, I don't want anything to do with Nuclear technology. It is a quick way to a bachelors degree though, and with the GI bill, free.

My ultimate goal is a PhD in Astrophysics, would this BS, along with some prerequisite classes, help me get into a graduate program somewhere? Or would it just be a waste of my time? I could begin somewhere as a freshman, but the GI bill would only get me through my bachelors, so if there is some way to use part of it for graduate studies by skipping some undergraduate courses that I've already had or had the equivalency of, that is really what I'm looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
You almost never pay a cent for graduate school in physics. You are a teaching assistant (teach undergraduate discussion sections or hold lab classes) or a research assistant, and they waive your tuition and provide a small living stipend. So your fears about paying for physics grad school are unnecessary. Of course, this is assuming you get in somewhere.

Also, a BS in Nuclear Tech is nowhere near enough physics classes you would need for physics grad school. It may cover rudimentary quantum mechanics but classical mechanics, E&M, thermo/stat mech, subatomic, condensed matter, and the labs would all be lacking. If you want to do a PhD in physics, get a BS in physics or you will have a hard if not impossible time.

Related to Advice on Undergraduate Education.

1. What major should I choose for my undergraduate degree?

The major you choose should align with your interests and career goals. Consider the subjects you enjoy and the skills you want to develop. It's also helpful to research the job market and potential career paths for different majors.

2. How important are extracurricular activities in undergraduate education?

Extracurricular activities can be an important part of undergraduate education, as they can help you develop skills and experiences that may not be gained in the classroom. They can also enhance your resume and show a well-rounded profile to potential employers.

3. Is it better to attend a large or small undergraduate institution?

There is no right answer to this question as it depends on personal preferences. Large institutions may offer more diverse course options and resources, while small institutions may have a tighter-knit community and more individual attention from professors.

4. How can I make the most out of my undergraduate education?

To make the most out of your undergraduate education, take advantage of opportunities such as internships, research projects, and networking events. Also, be proactive in seeking out mentors and building relationships with professors and peers.

5. How can I balance academics and social life during my undergraduate years?

Balancing academics and social life can be challenging, but it's important to find a healthy balance. Prioritize your studies and schedule time for social activities. Also, remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.