Aerodynamics - Standard Atmosphere problem

In summary, the problem involves calculating the upward speed of an elevator at sea level based on a 1 percent decrease in pressure per minute. The solution involves using the equation p1/p0 = (T1/T0)^(-g/aR) and plugging in values for p1, p0, T0, g, a, and R. Solving for T1, it is found to be 282.4382K and using the temperature/altitude distribution, the height is calculated to be 880m. The velocity is then calculated to be 880m/min. The solution can be checked by assigning a random value for displacement and using it to solve for point 2.
eku_girl83
Here's the problem:
We are ascending in an elevator at sea level. Our eardrums feel a 1 percent decrease in pressure per minute. Calculate the upward speed of the elevator.
My solution:
*I am using the equation p1/p0 = (T1/T0)^(-g/aR), where p1 and p0 are pressure at point 1 and point 0, respectively.
*T1 and T0 are temperatures at point 1 and 0, g is acceleration due to gravity, a is the slope of the first gradient layer (Temperature/Altitude), and R is the specific gas constant for air.
*In the context of the problem, we know that p1 = .9 p0, T0 = 288.16K (temperature at sea level), g= 9.8 m/s^2, a = -.0065 K/m (from temperature distribution graph in textbook), and R = 287 J/kg K.
*Plugging these values into my equation and solving for T1, I get T1 = 282.4382 K.
*Since the temp./altitude distribution is a straight line for this region, I know T1 = T0 + a(h-h0).
*h0 is zero, so plugging in and solving for h I obtain h = 880 m.
*Since this took place in the course of a minute (which is the time for a 10% pressure decrease to occur, according to the problem), the velocity is 880m/min upward.

This seems a little fast? Did I do things right?

I would appreciate any input!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assign a random value for displacement - say 100m, you can use resources to find the values for temp and pressure etc at that height and then sub that into your formula for point 2, to either check or to help solve...

Your calculations and approach seem correct. However, it is important to note that the 1% decrease in pressure per minute may not be a linear decrease. It could also be a logarithmic decrease or follow some other function. This would affect the accuracy of your calculation for the velocity. Additionally, the temperature distribution in the atmosphere is not a perfect straight line, so there may be some error in your calculation for the altitude. Overall, your approach is sound but it is important to consider any potential factors that may affect the accuracy of your solution.

Related to Aerodynamics - Standard Atmosphere problem

1. What is the standard atmosphere problem in aerodynamics?

The standard atmosphere problem in aerodynamics refers to the set of conditions and parameters that are used as a baseline for calculations and measurements in the field of aerodynamics. It includes factors such as air density, temperature, and pressure at different altitudes, which are used to model and predict the behavior of aircraft and other objects in flight.

2. How is the standard atmosphere problem solved?

The standard atmosphere problem is solved using mathematical models and equations that take into account the variation of air density, temperature, and pressure with altitude. These models are based on the International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) which defines the standard values for these parameters at different altitudes. These values are then used to calculate the aerodynamic forces and performance of objects in flight.

3. Why is the standard atmosphere problem important in aerodynamics?

The standard atmosphere problem is important in aerodynamics because it provides a common reference point for engineers and scientists to design and evaluate aircraft and other flying objects. By using a standardized set of conditions, it allows for accurate and consistent comparisons between different designs and helps in predicting their performance in real-world conditions.

4. How does the standard atmosphere problem affect aircraft performance?

The standard atmosphere problem has a significant impact on aircraft performance as it directly affects the aerodynamic forces acting on the aircraft. Changes in air density, temperature, and pressure can affect the lift, drag, and thrust of an aircraft, which in turn affects its speed, range, and maneuverability. Therefore, understanding and accounting for the standard atmosphere conditions is crucial in designing efficient and safe aircraft.

5. Are there any limitations to the standard atmosphere problem?

Yes, there are limitations to the standard atmosphere problem as it is based on an idealized model of the Earth's atmosphere. In reality, the atmosphere is constantly changing and can deviate from the standard conditions due to weather patterns, altitude, and other factors. Additionally, the standard atmosphere does not account for factors such as wind, turbulence, and air density variations due to temperature inversions. Therefore, it is important to use caution and make adjustments when applying the standard atmosphere model in real-world situations.