Aerospace engineering or Engineering physics for the Space Industry?

In summary, the speaker is finishing their bachelor's degree in engineering physics and is considering pursuing a master's in aerospace engineering in order to work in the space industry. They are wondering if this change would be beneficial for employment at companies like Boeing, SpaceX, and government organizations like ESA and NASA. They also mention their interests in applied physics, electronics, and programming. The other person in the conversation suggests that courses in fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, and aerodynamics will be essential for employment in the space industry and that topics like relativity, cosmology, and quantum mechanics may not be relevant.
tabc
Hi everyone,

I'm currently finishing my bachelor's degree in engineering physics (integrated master´s) and wondering what I should pursue on my master's degree and if I should move from my current path. My main objective is to work in the space industry (quite vague I imagine).

Would it be beneficial (from an employment perspective for companies such as Boeing,SpaceX and government ones such as ESA/NASA) to change from my upcoming master's to a master's in aerospace engineering? I mean right out of college and assuming no work experience. If this companies, for example, wouldn't take unexperienced candidates consider the same question with whatever "middle path" is necessary (here I mean stuff like a post-grad on International Space University for example).

How about knowledge/skills wise? Aerospace seems to offer a lot more "practical courses" in advanced fluid mechanics, aerodynamics and even space missions planning in the 5th year. Engineering physics on the other hand offers (the engineering part of the master's) nanotecnology and nanoelectronics, condensed matter, relativity and cosmology, a third curricular unit on quantum mechanics, astrophysics, etc.

If it helps, areas I'm most interested in so far: applied physics,electronics and programming.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativity, cosmology, condensed matter, and quantum mechanics will be utterly irrelevant for employment in the space industry. Nano-stuff may/may not be relevant, depending on what aspect you want to pursue. Fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, and aerodynamics will most likely be essential to even get in the door. Can you see which way this is pointing?

Yes, I suspected the name wasn't just for show :p

Thanks.

Any extra helpful information is much appreciated.

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and engineering physics for the space industry?

Aerospace engineering focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems, while engineering physics for the space industry involves the application of physics principles to the design and operation of space technologies and systems.

2. What types of skills are needed for a career in aerospace engineering or engineering physics for the space industry?

Both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with hands-on projects and experimentation are beneficial.

3. What are some potential job opportunities in the space industry for those with a degree in aerospace engineering or engineering physics?

Graduates in these fields can work in a variety of roles, such as designing and testing spacecraft and aircraft, conducting research and development, managing projects, and overseeing manufacturing processes. They may also work for government agencies, private companies, or research institutions.

4. How does the space industry contribute to scientific advancements and technological innovations?

The space industry plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the universe and developing new technologies. Satellite systems, for example, have enabled improvements in communication, navigation, and weather forecasting. Space exploration also drives the development of new materials, propulsion systems, and robotics.

5. What are some current challenges and future developments in the space industry that aerospace engineers and engineering physicists will face?

Some current challenges include reducing the cost of space travel, developing sustainable space technologies, and mitigating potential risks to human health during long-term space missions. Future developments may include the colonization of other planets, advancements in space tourism, and the use of space resources for sustainable living on Earth.