Affordable DIY Robotic Arm Project for Beginners | Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses building a cheap robotic arm using 4 servos and a 1m aluminum tube as the bone material. The arm is intended to be small and able to lift 500g, but there are questions about its feasibility and the necessary torque for the servos. The participant shares their own experience building a robot arm and provides a link to a pre-made skeleton with servos. However, the person inquiring wants to build the skeleton themselves and does not have access to a laser cutter. They plan to cut the aluminum tube using a saw and are working on finding a solution for connecting the arm.
ttouch
Hello,

I'm a complete noob on the robotics.
I got an idea, to build a really cheap robotic arm (~$60). I thought about using 4 servos (rotate the arm, move up/down the first part, move up/down the second part and open/close the grippers). As the bone material I found that 1m aluminium tube (2mm thick wall and 5cm diameter) costs about 5$. I don't want the arm to be very big, so the first part could be 40cm and the second 30cm.
Also I need it to be able to lift 500g (is that a bit too much?)

I have an Arduino which is ok for controlling some servos.

I know I don't give enough data, but that is just a thought. I have no idea how to design it in the computer (zero knowledge of AutoCAD)

Problems:
Is this even possible? (I don't see any problems, but as said, I'm a noob)
What servos do I need? How much torque? (aluminium is very lightweight...)

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well I think it is possible but maybe not a 500g load unless you are using hydraulics. I was actually on a science Olympiad team in high school and was given the task to build a robot arm from scratch. I used arduino and as far as the servos go I used Futaba S3003's (Not very powerful). For the body I used a kit I found online it was made of laser cut wood. To control it I used 2 joysticks from a ps2 controller.

I actually happened to have made a video of the arm on youtube a wile back if you want to watch it the link is here-

As far as your robot I think it would be possible to build it out of that tube but I was wondering what kind of resources you have available like do you happen to have access to a laser cutter, how do you plan on building the skeleton?

As far as servos go you are going to want to use large ones. Also you will need an external battery for the servos because the arduino can't handle more than about 2 small ones and I think but make sure you remember to connect the ground from the arduino and the ground on the battery haha that always gets me lol.
If you want to you can just buy the skeleton already created with all the servos that work with it.
Here is a ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-DOF-M...011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd13fef9b

Hope this was somewhat helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply.
I want to build the skeleton on my own. I was thinking about buying 2m aluminium tube and cut it with a saw. The only problem is the connections between the arm, but I'll find a solution...
I have no laser cuter access and I don't want to buy a ready body.

1. How does a robotic arm work?

A robotic arm typically consists of multiple joints and segments, controlled by motors and sensors. The motors move the joints, while the sensors provide feedback to ensure accurate movement and positioning.

2. What is the purpose of a robotic arm?

A robotic arm is designed to perform tasks that are typically done by a human arm, such as picking and placing objects, welding, or painting. It can also be used in environments that are dangerous or difficult for humans to access.

3. How do I program a robotic arm?

Programming a robotic arm involves writing code that controls the movement and actions of the arm. This can be done using a programming language or through a visual programming interface. It is important to understand the mechanics and capabilities of the arm in order to program it effectively.

4. What materials do I need for a robotic arm project?

The materials needed for a robotic arm project may vary depending on the design and purpose of the arm. In general, you will need motors, sensors, a microcontroller, and various mechanical components such as gears, pulleys, and linkages. You may also need a power source, wires, and tools for assembly.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with a robotic arm?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when working with a robotic arm. It is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer, such as wearing protective gear and keeping a safe distance from the arm while it is in operation. It is also important to properly program and test the arm to avoid any potential hazards.