Best way to scavenge parts for a robotic arm?

In summary, you must decide how big and how strong this arm must be. It will be a very small project, so at the most, it will probably be able to pick up a children's book or a small phone. You can find parts for this project at a landfill or a junkyard.
CaptainAmerica17
I'm a bit new to DIY robotics and for one of my first projects, I want to build a robotic arm. I'm still thinking out the plan for it, but I'm going to need to start gathering parts. Does anyone know of the best way to get parts if you don't have immediate access to a 3D printer? Does anyone go to old computer shops or something? I'm going to be using an Arduino if that's relevant at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like a fun project. Before selecting parts, you must decide how big and how strong this arm must be. Must it be able to pick up a phone or a car?

It's going to be a very small project, so at the most, it will probably be able to pick up a children's book or a small phone.

Ebay. For example, small linear stepper motors starts at 1USD each.
If you are OK with such thing then start your first build around a plastic skeleton (arm): 10USD.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Likes davenn and berkeman
I find most of my stuff at the landfill. You would be surprised just how much good “stuff” can be found there. I have 6 motorized chair motors and controllers that retail for over $500 a piece that I picked. Fresnel lenses from old big screen TVs for a solar pool heater. My last haul was about 20 3’x2” aluminum I-beams and a new set of wheels for my riding lawn mower. Great stuff!

If you're starting really small, you may find budget RC servos are the way to go. You don't have to worry about stepper drivers and gearing, and there are many libraries about for control functions.

Thick8 said:
I find most of my stuff at the landfill. You would be surprised just how much good “stuff” can be found there. I have 6 motorized chair motors and controllers that retail for over $500 a piece that I picked. Fresnel lenses from old big screen TVs for a solar pool heater. My last haul was about 20 3’x2” aluminum I-beams and a new set of wheels for my riding lawn mower. Great stuff!

I've never thought of going to the landfill. There's one less than 5 miles from my house! I'd just have to convince my parents to let me dig through it, lol.

Nik_2213 said:
If you're starting really small, you may find budget RC servos are the way to go. You don't have to worry about stepper drivers and gearing, and there are many libraries about for control functions.
I have two servos at the moment. I think that might be enough since it'll only be able to move up and down. I also want it to have a claw mechanism, I'm not sure how that'll work yet.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
I'm a bit new to DIY robotics and for one of my first projects, I want to build a robotic arm. I'm still thinking out the plan for it, but I'm going to need to start gathering parts. Does anyone know of the best way to get parts if you don't have immediate access to a 3D printer? Does anyone go to old computer shops or something? I'm going to be using an Arduino if that's relevant at all.
I keep seeing this video in my Facebook feed...

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
berkeman said:
I keep seeing this video in my Facebook feed...

Wow, that looks really cool!

CaptainAmerica17 said:
I'd just have to convince my parents

For sure - landfills are sketchy places with plenty of filthy stuff that you wouldn't want breaking your skin. A safer alternative (even if it costs money) might be a local junkyard or fleamarket.

Likes berkeman

1. What types of parts should I look for when scavenging for a robotic arm?

When scavenging for parts for a robotic arm, it is important to look for components that are durable, lightweight, and have precise movements. Motors, gears, and sensors are essential parts to look for, as well as any other mechanical or electronic components that can be repurposed for a robotic arm.

2. Where can I find these parts for a robotic arm?

You can find these parts in a variety of places such as old electronics, hardware stores, online marketplaces, and even salvage yards. It is also helpful to reach out to individuals or organizations who may be willing to donate or sell spare parts for your project.

3. How do I ensure that the parts I scavenge are compatible with each other?

To ensure compatibility, it is important to have a clear understanding of the specifications and requirements for your robotic arm design. This will help you identify which parts will work together and which ones may need modifications or adaptations.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when scavenging for parts?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when working with any type of equipment or tools. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear and handle any potentially hazardous materials with caution. It is also important to properly test and inspect the parts before integrating them into your robotic arm.

5. How do I properly disassemble and salvage parts from old electronics?

To properly disassemble and salvage parts from old electronics, it is important to have the right tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, and wire cutters. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of the electronic components and how they are connected. Make sure to carefully remove the parts and keep them organized for easier identification and use.