Age Appropriate Toys for One-Year-Olds

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: And if it's lost or something, it's not a total disaster. In summary, this 13 mo old girl is smart as a whip and will be able to play with the bowling set just fine, even if it's not for a few years. Her 6 mo old baby brother will probably enjoy chewing on the blocks.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, one of my friends has a daughter who's a little over a year old. She loves to roll balls around, and I happen to know their floor has a sort of natural slope to it, so one can predict where the ball is going to go. So, I picked up one of those plastic bowling sets. I now notice the package says 3 and up, and I'm wondering why? There are no small parts, everything looks bigger than her head. Okay, obviously, the kid isn't old enough to try to aim a ball at the pins, but I figure she'll have fun watching the pins fall over and make noise falling on the hardwood floor if her parents put the pins where the ball will naturally roll anyway, or if she just knocks the pins over by hand. So, I know there are parents on this board. Any reason this is a really bad idea to give to a kid under three? If it is, I'll return it and try to find something else.

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be a matter of interest. Toys are targeted for specific age groups for many reasons including safety. Children under three may not typically express an interest in playing with balls. But that's the great thing about buying for kids. If too advanced the toy will eventually be appropriate.

They probably figure a child of a least three would understand the object of the game. That doesn't mean that a younger child won't have just as much fun knocking the pins over just for the fun of it. As long as there are no parts small enough to choke on or can come apart, it's not a problem.

Okay, thanks! No, no small parts or anything that comes apart. This is pretty much identical to the bowling set I had as a kid and loved. Big plastic pins in 4 colors, and two plastic balls about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. Nothing to choke on; that's why I didn't even look at the age on it. So it's probably just the object of the game that's too advanced. No problem. She'll have fun banging pins around and rolling the ball (she actually will play "soccer" and kick a ball around already...amazing kid). I think this kid will grow into it long before 3! She's smart as a whip! My nephew is about 6 months older, and seems to be at a similar developmental stage as this 13 mo old! And my nephew is pretty much right on target of where he should be (I was actually getting worried for a while that he might be a bit slow since he seemed to be doing stuff at such a later age than this little girl has been doing, but it turns out the girl is just way ahead of the curve).

Not to hijack this thread...but does anyone have suggestions on what to buy for a 6 mo old baby boy ? Something that won't be usurped by a 4 year old big brother...I fear a bowling set might.

Gokul43201 said:
Not to hijack this thread...but does anyone have suggestions on what to buy for a 6 mo old baby boy ? Something that won't be usurped by a 4 year old big brother...I fear a bowling set might.
A 6 mo old baby boy will play with just about anything which in some way, seems comforting. A small toy should do it (e.g. teddy bear). Or better, a big toy. I hear i used to like those. :smile:

Gokul43201 said:

I'm afraid it would be hard to find something that won't be completely usurped by a 4 yr old, but all my friends' kids and my nephew loved Peek-A-Blocks from Fisher Price when they were that age (and older too). When they are young, they are happy to just chew on the blocks (teething). But you can buy activity tables and push toys, etc to play with. Here's a site that shows what they are:
http://www.fisher-price.com/us/infanttoys/section.asp?s=bupeek&skipintro=true
Even if someone else buys them, the blocks are all interchangeable with the different toys, so it just adds to a bigger set. And while the 4 yr old might steal one or two of the toys, they can't get their hands on EVERY block!

One thing I've learned with two children is to put their name on the toy as soon as they get it, if at all possible. This way they aren't arguing later about whose toy it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
When buying for someone else's kid I shoot for the loudest most repetitive toys. Something that plays "If you're happy and you know it" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I love giving those!

I'm going to have to point out that toys from Fisher Price, completely degrade children. Your solution to the child competition would more than likely be make the older child feel foolish for playing with such toys. Kids need to learn these things at an early age. They need to learn how to 'fear' and respect what needs to be feared and respected. Buying something that the older one won't have interest in, certainly won't help accomplish that goal.

Get your kid something that he would like. Don't worry 'bout the older child. If he interferes, teach him that it's not right. Tell him that it's not his. You might get some yelling, some tears, and some anger at first, but eventually they'll learn, and they'll be glad later on, when they're not stealing things from stores.

It may sound a bit extreme, but it's hard to change anything after childhood. I guess I can take me as an example. I have a sign of respect and 'fear' for things I know I should. I don't go around in movie theatres yelling. I don't tell police to "get the **** out of my house" (Not that they come to my house). Why don't I do it? I certainly want to sometimes, but it's just that "tamed" feeling.

Most intelligent kids at the teen age tend to break off from their parents. The older they get, the harder it is to rub subliminal messages into them.

tribdog said:
When buying for someone else's kid I shoot for the loudest most repetitive toys. Something that plays "If you're happy and you know it" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I love giving those!

I do that too! But, the thing is, those are the types of toys the kids really love, and they are actually educational. That's how kids that young learn, by hearing things repeated often. It's just a bonus that it drives their parents batty! :biggrin: Though, if I ever have kids, I have a LOT of friends and family who are just dying to get even. :eek:

When they get older and you can't find those really loud, repetitive toys anymore, the messy ones are good, like fingerpaints! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I do that too! But, the thing is, those are the types of toys the kids really love, and they are actually educational. That's how kids that young learn, by hearing things repeated often. It's just a bonus that it drives their parents batty! :biggrin: Though, if I ever have kids, I have a LOT of friends and family who are just dying to get even. :eek:

When they get older and you can't find those really loud, repetitive toys anymore, the messy ones are good, like fingerpaints! :biggrin:
I love buying the obnoxiously noisy toys for my grandson. And get them lots of long life batteries, as well :devil: .

Whatever happened to the hand cranked swing-o-matics. The battery operated ones are lame (the batteries die almost immdediately).

It says 3 and up to avoid lawsuits, and that is the only reason.

BobG said:
I love buying the obnoxiously noisy toys for my grandson. And get them lots of long life batteries, as well :devil: .

Whatever happened to the hand cranked swing-o-matics. The battery operated ones are lame (the batteries die almost immdediately).

:devil: One of the other toys I bought was a schoolbus with little people inside it that repeats over and over and over:
"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town..."

I mailed the presents in advance to my sister last year and one came with batteries included and made noise every time you turned it over...I wonder what the postal employees thought of that? I hadn't put anyone's names on the presents (my brother-in-law is a present shaker, so I had to keep him from knowing which was his in advance...I had a color-coding system, but didn't tell them that), but everyone already knew that particular present was for my nephew since it would every so often start making noise under the tree. :-p

Moonbear said:
:devil: One of the other toys I bought was a schoolbus with little people inside it that repeats over and over and over:
"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town..."

I mailed the presents in advance to my sister last year and one came with batteries included and made noise every time you turned it over...I wonder what the postal employees thought of that? I hadn't put anyone's names on the presents (my brother-in-law is a present shaker, so I had to keep him from knowing which was his in advance...I had a color-coding system, but didn't tell them that), but everyone already knew that particular present was for my nephew since it would every so often start making noise under the tree. :-p

Along with the annoying bus, we got you rechargeable batteries so you can play FOREVER, FOREVER, FOREVER, forever, forever, for.. (the sound slowly diminishes in the heads of the proud parents)

Moot now but FYI, I spotted this page while Xmas shopping and thought of this thread.
Toysrus.com/Amazon.com's Age Ranges

Toysrus.com/Amazon.com's suggested age range is based on information supplied by a toy's manufacturer. While many manufacturers are quite specific about which ages will best enjoy a toy, others display age ranges based on safety information and restrictions alone. Safety is the most important factor to us, too. You can be sure that when we suggest an age range, that toy meets the U.S. safety standards for those ages.

While we base the Toysrus.com/Amazon.com suggested age range on the manufacturer's recommendation, we additionally consider what ages might have the best time playing with this toy. That includes everything from assessing the developmental skills required for a toy (and the ages likely to possesses those skills) to knowing that what's cool with the 7-year-old set can be downright embarrassing for a 9-year-old.

We also offer a "best" age range. While individual children do have different rates of development, this is our best suggestion for who will best enjoy a particular toy. These are general guidelines, and they do not mean that the toy will be enjoyed by all children within the stated age range. Some children may prefer toys that are usually enjoyed by older children, and some may share younger children's preferences. Customers should be sensitive to these individual preferences when selecting items for particular children.

We also encourage parents to enter their own reviews for toys their kids love, or have loved--as well as toys they don't. Many parents include their kids' ages, and this information will also help you decide whether a toy is right for your little one.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...fo.html/102-9107896-7888126&tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I got given a carburettor when I was about 6, that brought me hours of fun.

6 months? Sounds like he's old enough for his first train set...

brewnog said:
I got given a carburettor when I was about 6, that brought me hours of fun.

6 months? Sounds like he's old enough for his first train set...

Hey, I had to wait until I was 21 for my first train set! Really. I used to beg for a train set when I was a kid, but my mom always insisted trains were for boys (my dad was the feminist in the family if you'd believe it). Finally, after I turned 21, my step-dad got me the train set. He found a really cool one with Mickey Mouse and Goofy on it! Fun to put under the tree. I just finished setting it up under the tree tonight. This year I'm returning the favor and getting him the Polar Express train set he really wants for Christmas (though it's backordered until February...at least I managed to find a place to order it that would get it before May, which is what I think he had found as the earliest available date).

Related to Age Appropriate Toys for One-Year-Olds

1. What are some important factors to consider when choosing age-appropriate toys for one-year-olds?

When choosing toys for one-year-olds, it is important to consider their developmental stage, safety, and educational value. Their fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and cognitive abilities are rapidly developing at this age, so toys that encourage these skills are ideal. Safety is also crucial, so make sure to check for any small or sharp parts that could be a choking hazard. Finally, look for toys that have educational benefits such as promoting creativity, problem-solving, and sensory experiences.

2. What types of toys are suitable for one-year-olds?

Toys that are suitable for one-year-olds include shape sorters, stacking toys, push and pull toys, soft or textured toys, and musical instruments. These types of toys help develop their fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and sensory exploration. They also promote problem-solving, creativity, and cause and effect understanding.

3. Can I give my one-year-old toys meant for older children?

It is generally not recommended to give one-year-olds toys meant for older children. These toys may have small or sharp parts that could be dangerous for younger children. Additionally, they may not be developmentally appropriate and could cause frustration or lack of interest. It is best to stick to toys specifically designed for one-year-olds.

4. Are electronic toys suitable for one-year-olds?

Electronic toys can be entertaining for one-year-olds, but they are not necessarily the best choice for their development. They may not provide the same level of hands-on learning and sensory experiences as traditional toys. It is recommended to limit screen time for one-year-olds and instead focus on toys that promote physical and cognitive development.

5. How often should I rotate my one-year-old's toys?

It is beneficial to rotate your one-year-old's toys every few weeks to keep them engaged and interested. This also allows for exposure to different types of toys and promotes development in various areas. It is also a good idea to regularly assess and remove any broken or unsafe toys from their collection.