Air Breakdown With 980nm Laser: 1microsec/250mW

In summary, air breakdown occurs when a high intensity laser beam, specifically at a wavelength of 980nm and a power of 250mW, is focused on air for a duration of 1 microsecond. This results in the formation of a plasma channel, which can be used for various applications such as laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy and laser ignition. The breakdown process is influenced by factors such as air density, beam intensity, and duration, and understanding these mechanisms is crucial for optimizing the use of lasers in various fields.
reese houseknecht
So i have been looking at a 1microsecond pulsed 250milliwatt 980nm laser. I watched a video where a guy outputed 50millijoules at 5 nanoseconds and achieved air breakdown. I am wondering since maybe mine is higher energy it will do the same or i need faster pulses?

Physics news on Phys.org
reese houseknecht said:
So i have been looking at a 1microsecond pulsed 250milliwatt 980nm laser. I watched a video where a guy outputed 50millijoules at 5 nanoseconds and achieved air breakdown. I am wondering since maybe mine is higher energy it will do the same or i need faster pulses?
The second example used a power of: Energy/Time = (50x10^-3) / (5x10^-9) = 10MW
This greatly more than your 250mW.

Likes sophiecentaur
The output is 250000W not 250mW sorry about that

In the video of the guy that achieved air breakdown he used 2 lasers focus to one beam, would tgat help my case

reese houseknecht said:
In the video of the guy that achieved air breakdown
what video ?
please give a link :smile:

You have to read the description cause the video is just the ionization

if i have a lower nm wavelength like UV and a little bit of a lower W per pulse, since there are more electron volts per photon will i have a better chance at ionizing?

reese houseknecht said:
if i have a lower nm wavelength like UV and a little bit of a lower W per pulse, since there are more electron volts per photon will i have a better chance at ionizing?
I saw a large, high power CO2 laser at a trade show once, breaking down air with pulses about every 10 seconds. Very impressive. The laser and its support equipment were about the size of a small car, and the setup probably cost $100,000 or more. This is not really a project for a high school student. Maybe when you get to university and start helping out in the laser lab, you will get to work with high power lasers like that (and you will have experienced people teaching you about laser safety).

Probably for your current project, you should just make something that looks like it is ionizing air (use a spark gap at the focus position).

Heres te thing though and i know this sounds dumb. I always like to create new things, finding better ways for things to work. Everything can be make better, cheaper. Yes i am a kid but I believe if put enough research in i can find a better way. Call me dumb but look at how many thing thought couldn't be better or cheaper and now they are. Just like the computer for example, the basics of a computer back in the early days before you could buy one for personal use they were 1000s of dollars. Now you can get one for 200 or less. Now i know i might not be able to drop the price significantly but a dollar is a dollar and they add up. Also i am typing a paper completely on photoionization, all the processes and all that so if i can't achieve it someone else can.

reese houseknecht said:
Call me dumb
No reason to! There's nothing wrong with being interested in STEM and being creative and curious. Keep on learning and keep on making things to help your learning.

Slightly off-topic -- have you seen the movie "Real Genius"? I think you would enjoy it a lot. Check it out if you haven't seen it already. It's one of my favorite movies... :biggrin:

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 381
Likes reese houseknecht

1. What is air breakdown?

Air breakdown is the phenomenon where a high intensity laser beam ionizes the surrounding air, creating a plasma channel. This occurs when the laser intensity exceeds the threshold for air ionization, which is around 1GW/cm2 for a 980nm laser.

2. How does a 980nm laser cause air breakdown in 1 microsecond?

A 980nm laser has a wavelength that is strongly absorbed by air molecules, causing them to vibrate and heat up rapidly. This leads to the formation of a plasma channel in just 1 microsecond.

3. What is the power output of the 980nm laser during air breakdown?

The power output of the laser during air breakdown is 250mW, which is the amount of power needed to reach the ionization threshold for air at 980nm.

4. What applications use 980nm lasers for air breakdown?

980nm lasers are commonly used in laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) to analyze the elemental composition of materials. They can also be used in laser machining and drilling, as well as for generating plasma for fusion experiments.

5. How is air breakdown with 980nm laser relevant to research?

Understanding the mechanism and properties of air breakdown with 980nm lasers is important for various fields of research, such as plasma physics, laser technology, and material analysis. It also has practical applications in industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy production.