Air conditioner compressor capacity control in VRF systems

In summary, the OP is working on a VRF type air conditioner that will be able to vary compressor capacity based on load. He has one method of doing this, varying compressor speed based on suction superheat. He has a doubt about what basis he should use to change compressor speed for a multi-evaporator system. If he's using a single compressor with 1 evaporator system, he will first sense suction pressure and convert that to corresponding saturated suction temperature (Ts), next he will sense evaporator temperature (Te), and find superheat by SH=Ts-Te. Then, he will compare SH with target superheat SHS and increase or decrease compressor speed accordingly. If he's using a single compressor
srinaath
hi guys... am working on a variable refrigerant flow (VRF) type air conditioner.
my aim is to change the capacity of the compressor based on load change. i can vary compressor capacity by using inverter...now my doubt is on what basis i should change compressor speed for muti evaporator system...i have one method. it is varying compressor speed based on suction superheat...
assume that am using single compressor with 1 evaporator system (single evaporator)...now first thing i will do is 1)sense suction pressure and convert that to corresponding saturated suction temperature (Ts) 2)next i will sense evaporator temperature(Te) 3) am finding superheat by SH=Ts-Te 4)i will be comparing SH with target superheat SHS...if SH>SHS i will increase compressor speed else i will decrease compressor speed...NOW CONSIDER SINGLE COMPRESSOR WITH 3 EVAPORATOR SYSTEM...now i will have three superheat value..BIGGEST DOUBT IS SHOULD I ADD SH1+SH2+SH3 and then compare with target value to change speed of compressor??

I don't have a whole lot of refrigeration experience, but you're going about controlling compressor output the same way I would...

If I understand everything correctly, you're looking to make sure each evaporator always has liquid refrigerant available to it, and let the flow be controlled by evaporator valves, one on each evaporator.. right?

Could you sense the post-condenser side for pressure and temperature to make sure you always have liquid there?.. full compressor speed at the point where you could have any bubbles of gas, and let's say minimum speed at 20* or 40 PSI above this? Perhaps sensing the accumulator fluid level would be another way?

Just throwing some thoughts out!

srinaath said:
ADD SH1+SH2+SH3 and then compare with target value to change speed of compressor??
I see a problem. What if SH1=1, SH2=1, SH3=20 with 1 and 2 having 90% of the cooling load. You would calculate total superheat of 22 degrees, yet you are close to putting liquid into the compressor!

I guess you'd have to go with the highest superheat value in that case?

Rx7man said:
I guess you'd have to go with the highest superheat value in that case?
Seems to me you'd need the temperature of the mixed vapor from the three evaporators and calculate the superheat from that.

I'm wondering how that would work... If all 3 cooling units are near a similar temperature I think that could work well, but I think if 1 cooling unit is a freezer and 2 are refrigerators, the outlet gas of the two refrigeration units could flow back and condense in the freezer unit's evaporator.. this could cause problems when the freezer unit's valve opens up and dumps more liquid in and you get it in the compressor in a real hurry.

As a safety, you may need to have a gas/liquid separator before the compressor.

the OP will have some things to ponder when he checks back anyhow :)

Rx7man said:
the outlet gas of the two refrigeration units could flow back and condense in the freezer unit's evaporator
I'd think all three evaporators would be running at the same pressure (common discharge line to compressor) which would obviate any back-flow.

Pressure, yes, it would have to be, but if one is much colder than the others, wouldn't it condense what evaporated in the others? Pressures would be the same, thus the boiling point of the refrigerant, but one unit could be below that temperature.

Rx7man said:
...if one is much colder than the others, wouldn't it condense what evaporated in the others?
But, if you're controlling total superheat at, say, 10oF, wouldn't the cold and warm streams mix to the final superheated condition with no condensate?

I don't really know... . I like solving things by extremes...

Lets say you have 3 flasks and they're connected and evacuated.. (no atmospheric air in them), One has water that you're boiling in it, the other is at room temperature, and the other is in an ice bath... What is going to happen?

Well, the pressure in all 3 flasks must be the same, but what is it? It's the vapor pressure above the water in the coldest flask... Since there's no atmospheric air, the temperatures in all 3 (at equilibrium) must be the same, but to get there is a different story... The flask you're heating will create steam that will travel and condense in the coldest flask until it has no water left in it.. now your cold flask is full.

What happens if you add water to the already full cold flask? As in the evaporator valve on the coldest evaporator opens because that unit is above set temperature?
I think you'll get a sudden rush of liquid into your compressor.

I think one of the keys here is to have a large enough liquid accumulator to be able to keep the entire evaporator side significantly below the condensing temperature of the coldest one, perhaps then you can just sense the low side pressure and maintain it at whatever setpoint you like, and you cannot get any buildup of liquid.

Just thoughts I get to by my own logic... Can't say I'm right, but it makes sense to me

Your experiment is very different from a flowing refrigeration system where all vapor streams are continually carried away to a compressor inlet.

how about check valves to prevent any condensation in a colder unit?

I think you are right in post 6 that the vapors will need to be mixed and then the superheat calculated from that.

Check out Fujitsu Mini-Split heat pumps. They have up to 8 inside coils running off one outdoor variable-speed compressor unit. They've obviously solved all the problems, at least for HVAC-type applications where inside coil temperatures don't vary by a whole lot.

1. How does the compressor capacity control work in VRF systems?

The compressor capacity control in VRF (Variable Refrigerant Flow) systems is achieved through a combination of variable speed compressors and electronic expansion valves. The system constantly monitors the cooling or heating demand of each individual zone and adjusts the compressor speed and refrigerant flow accordingly.

2. What are the benefits of using compressor capacity control in VRF systems?

Compressor capacity control allows for precise temperature control in each individual zone, leading to increased energy efficiency and cost savings. It also reduces wear and tear on the system, resulting in longer lifespan and lower maintenance costs.

3. Can the compressor capacity control be adjusted manually?

In most VRF systems, the compressor capacity control is automatically controlled by the system's control unit. However, some systems may have the option for manual adjustments through the control interface.

4. What factors affect the compressor capacity control in VRF systems?

The compressor capacity control in VRF systems is affected by various factors such as outdoor temperature, indoor temperature, and the number of zones being cooled or heated. It is important to properly size and install the system to ensure optimal performance and efficiency.

5. Is it possible to retrofit an existing VRF system with compressor capacity control?

In most cases, it is possible to retrofit an existing VRF system with compressor capacity control. However, it is important to consult with a professional HVAC technician to determine the feasibility and potential cost of such a retrofit.