Centrifugal compressor with relief valve formulas

In summary: ERICAN INSTITUTE OF AERONAUTICS AND ASTRONAUTICSIn summary, the person is asking if the power required to operate a centrifugal compressor is lower when a relief valve is letting air escape at lower altitudes, and if the compressor discharge temperature is lower as well. The expert explains that the power required is higher at lower altitudes and that the relief valve will not affect the work done by the compressor. The temperature will depend on the final pressure in the compressor.
Colandor
Hi folks,

I have a question regarding centrifugal compressors when a relief valve is included in the system.
Allow me to explain...
There is a centrifugal compressor supplying air to an aircraft engine. As altitude varies, the compressor provides enough pressure up to altitude "X" for the engine to operate at full manifold pressure.
Now, in order for the pressure not to rise above the engine limits, a relief valve opening at max supported pressure.

My questions are:
1.- At lower altitudes, when the relief valve is letting air escape due to the higher inlet pressure, is the power required to operate the compressor lower (because of the lower compression) or the same (because the air flow escaping through the relief valve) ?
2.- Similarly, is the compressor discharge temperature (which depends on compression ratio) lower or the same?

Basically my doubt is if, internally in the compressor, the compression ratio and air flow remains the same making the required power and discharge temperature also remain the same as if the relief valve was not there.

Hope that explains my question. Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Colandor said:
Hi folks,
My questions are:
1.- At lower altitudes, when the relief valve is letting air escape due to the higher inlet pressure, is the power required to operate the compressor lower (because of the lower compression) or the same (because the air flow escaping through the relief valve) ?
Welcome to PF Colandor!

There must be a sufficient mass flow of air to the engine to ensure complete combustion of fuel. In order for sufficient air to flow into the engine cylinders, that air must be at a sufficient pressure. The compressor appears to create this pressure by taking in a fixed volume of air per cycle and adiabatically compressing it to a smaller fixed volume i.e. Vi/Vf is constant.

The work done by the compressor per cycle is ##W = \int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV##, where Vi and Vf are the initial and final volumes. and ##PV^\gamma = \text{ constant} = P_iV_i^\gamma## so ##P = P_iV_i\left(\frac{1}{V}\right)^\gamma##. Since Vi/Vf is fixed, the work done per cycle is proportional to Pi. So the power required to operate the compressor is higher at lower altitudes.

If I understand your system correctly, the relief valve is on a tank that the compressor supplies. If that is the case, the relief valve will not affect the work done by the compressor. The compressor still compresses air from Vi to Vf each cycle but the tank that it supplies then let's it out to limit the pressure.
2.- Similarly, is the compressor discharge temperature (which depends on compression ratio) lower or the same?

Basically my doubt is if, internally in the compressor, the compression ratio and air flow remains the same making the required power and discharge temperature also remain the same as if the relief valve was not there.
The temperature will depend on the final pressure in the compressor. It will be proportional to Pf i.e. Tf = PfVf/mR

AM

Last edited:

1. What is a centrifugal compressor?

A centrifugal compressor is a type of dynamic compressor that uses a rotating impeller to compress air or gas. It converts kinetic energy into potential energy, increasing the pressure and velocity of the fluid.

2. What is a relief valve and why is it necessary in a centrifugal compressor?

A relief valve is a safety device that opens to release excess pressure in a system. In a centrifugal compressor, it is necessary to prevent damage to the compressor or downstream equipment in case of overpressure.

3. What is the formula for calculating the flow rate of a centrifugal compressor?

The flow rate of a centrifugal compressor can be calculated using the formula Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, A is the cross-sectional area of the compressor inlet in square meters, and V is the inlet velocity in meters per second.

4. How is the head developed by a centrifugal compressor calculated?

The head developed by a centrifugal compressor can be calculated using the formula H = (V2^2 - V1^2) / 2g, where H is the head in meters, V2 is the discharge velocity in meters per second, V1 is the suction velocity in meters per second, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

5. What is the purpose of the specific speed formula in centrifugal compressor design?

The specific speed formula is used in centrifugal compressor design to determine the type of impeller that will provide the most efficient operation. It is calculated using the formula Ns = (N * √Q) / H^3/4, where Ns is the specific speed, N is the rotational speed in revolutions per minute, Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, and H is the head in meters.