Air Hose & Valve - Maximum Nominal vs Shock Pressure

In summary, when designing an air cannon robot, it is important to choose hoses and valves with a high pressure rating, such as 600+ psi, to withstand the shock pressure of rapid air pressure rise. It is also important to ensure that the regulator is rated for the same or higher pressure to maintain safety.
yongjaewon
Hey guys I'm designing an air cannon robot and I need your help determining what valves and hoses i need to get in terms of maximum pressure. Based on my research, the maximum pressure ratings for hoses and solenoid valves are for constant pressure and even flows, but because I'll be making an air cannon which uses rapid rise in air pressure to shoot objects, I need to get hoses and valves that can withstand the shock pressure. I'll be shooting with around 100psi. Would hoses and valves rated for 200-230 psi be able to withstand the shock pressure? or should I get something rated for 600+psi to be safe? The flow of air is as follows:
High Pressure Air Tank > Regulator > Resorvoir > Solenoid Valve > Air Hose > Barrel
No extreme temperatures.
The hose is rubber.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you in advance.For the air hoses and solenoid valves, I would recommend getting something rated for 600+ psi to be safe, as this will give you plenty of room for any unexpected increases in pressure. When dealing with rapid rise in air pressure, it is better to err on the side of caution and go with a higher pressure rating than necessary. You should also make sure that the regulator is also rated for the same or higher pressure rating as the hoses and valves.

1. What is the difference between maximum nominal pressure and shock pressure for an air hose and valve?

The maximum nominal pressure refers to the maximum pressure that an air hose and valve can handle under normal operating conditions. This means that the hose and valve can consistently handle this pressure without any risk of damage or failure. On the other hand, shock pressure refers to the sudden or unexpected increase in pressure that can occur in the system. This can happen due to factors such as blockages, sudden valve closures, or air compressor malfunctions. Shock pressure can exceed the maximum nominal pressure and can potentially cause damage to the hose and valve if they are not designed to handle it.

2. How is the maximum nominal pressure determined for an air hose and valve?

The maximum nominal pressure for an air hose and valve is determined by the manufacturer based on the materials, design, and construction of the product. It is important to follow the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines to ensure safe and proper use of the hose and valve. Exceeding the maximum nominal pressure can lead to premature wear and tear or failure of the product.

3. What factors can cause shock pressure in an air hose and valve?

Shock pressure can occur due to various reasons, including blockages in the hose, sudden valve closures, air compressor malfunctions, or rapid temperature changes. It can also be caused by human error, such as accidentally overpressurizing the system or using the wrong type of air hose for the application.

4. How can I prevent damage from shock pressure in an air hose and valve?

To prevent damage from shock pressure, it is essential to use an air hose and valve that are designed to handle the maximum expected pressure in the system. Regular maintenance and inspection of the hose and valve can also help identify any potential issues before they escalate. It is also crucial to follow proper safety protocols and use the correct type of hose and valve for the specific application.

5. Are there any safety measures I should take when using an air hose and valve?

Yes, there are several safety measures to follow when using an air hose and valve. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper use and maintenance. Make sure to use personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and gloves, when working with pressurized air. Regularly inspect the hose and valve for any signs of wear or damage, and replace them if necessary. Additionally, always use the appropriate type and size of hose and valve for the application to prevent potential hazards and accidents.