Air line gauge in a T fitting, error vs flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure gauge mounted in a T fitting on a compressed air line and the factors that affect the indicated pressure, including flow losses in the system and measurement error due to the orientation of the gauge. The size of the error from the Bernoulli effect in the T fitting is also mentioned, as well as the specifications of the piping and gauge. The conversation ends with a question about the appropriate diameter for the T fitting and the potential error on the gauge at different air flow rates. The importance of flow direction and the type of pressure sensor are also briefly mentioned.
MikeTheLost
Professor forgive me it has been many years since my last physics problem, but I was looking at the pressure gauge mounted in a T fitting on our shop compressed air line, and how the reading dropped when various high cfm tools were in use. As I understand it the indicated pressure reflects two things, flow losses in the piping system, and measurement error due to mounting the gauge in a T fitting 90 degrees relative to the flow.

I am curious about the size of the error from the Bernoulli effect in the T fitting.

Shop air is regulated down to 125 psi at the main tank.
Piping is 1/2" schedule 40 actual ID 0.622 inch.
T fitting is 1/2" female NPT on each connection, actual ID about 0.840 inch, length 2.1 inches, but with up to about 0.750 inch of the pipe threaded into each end.
Gauge mounted in top of T with a short 1/8 npt adapter.
A large impact wrench uses 10 scfm, and a sand blaster uses 15 scfm.
A fair estimate of pressure drop in the piping is 3, 5, and 12 psi relative to 10, 15, and 25 scfm flow.

What is a reasonable diameter to use for the T given the proximity of the input and output pipes?

What would the error on the gauge be at 10, 15, and 25 scfm air flow?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
MikeTheLost said:
As I understand it the indicated pressure reflects two things, flow losses in the piping system, and measurement error due to mounting the gauge in a T fitting 90 degrees relative to the flow.
Yes, it reflects losses. But orientation relative to the flow may or may not be important depending on the type of instrument.

Pitot static meansurements are of course senstive to the direction of flow.

However a pressure sensor may have an inlet tube normal to the flow, and thus insensitive to flow direction.

Your question can't be answered without the details of the pressure sensor inlet.

1. What is an air line gauge in a T fitting?

An air line gauge in a T fitting is a device used to measure the pressure and flow of air in a system. It typically consists of a pressure gauge and a T-shaped fitting that allows for the air to flow through the system.

2. How does an air line gauge in a T fitting work?

The air line gauge in a T fitting works by measuring the pressure and flow of air passing through the system. The air flows through the T-shaped fitting and the pressure is measured by the gauge, providing an accurate reading of the air flow in the system.

3. What is the purpose of an air line gauge in a T fitting?

The purpose of an air line gauge in a T fitting is to monitor and regulate the pressure and flow of air in a system. This is important for maintaining the correct pressure levels for optimal functioning of the system and to prevent any potential damage.

4. What is the difference between error and flow in relation to an air line gauge in a T fitting?

Error refers to the difference between the actual pressure and the measured pressure by the gauge. Flow, on the other hand, refers to the amount of air passing through the system. The error can impact the accuracy of the flow measurement, so it is important to calibrate the gauge regularly.

5. How can I minimize errors in an air line gauge in a T fitting?

To minimize errors in an air line gauge in a T fitting, it is important to calibrate the gauge regularly. This involves comparing the readings of the gauge with a known standard and adjusting it accordingly. It is also important to ensure that the gauge is properly installed and maintained to prevent any potential errors.