Caculate air flow using tank pressure

In summary, the speaker is an engineer from Vietnam who has been working for 4 months and has been assigned to work on a compressed air system. They mention an air vessel with a capacity of 500 liters and a pressure of 7 bar, as well as an air booster with an inlet pressure of 6 bar and an inlet pipe of DN 25. After starting the booster, the air vessel is filled within 15 seconds with a flow rate of 2000 L/min at standard conditions. The speaker wants to know how much flow is passing through the DN 50 valve, but is having trouble calculating it using the ideal gas law. They also mention that the booster is not enough for their needs and they are considering installing another one
Nguyen Huu Hung
Dear all !
I am an engineer from Vietnam! I just started to work 4 months ago. Now I got assignments with compressed air system!
The compressor is not mentioned here!
We have an air vessel of 500 Liters, and pressure is 7 bar. Before air vessel is an air booster with inlet pressure of 6 bar. The in let pipe to the booster is DN 25. The outlet pipe from air vessel is DN 50.
After starting the booster, the air vessel will be full within 15s ( Booster is 2000L/min). then I open the valve DN50 from tank, the pressure drop so fast and the booster working continuously. I know that the booster is not enough flow for using. Now I want to install one more booster, but I want to know how much flow through the DN50?
I using PV=nRT but can not help. Pls help me to solve out this problem. Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Booster is 2000 L/min at std. conditions? That needs to be adjusted to 6 bar.

You open DN50 to where? Atmosphere? What's the back pressure?

According to the diagram. The booster had the range of inlet from 2 bar to 5 bar, the outlet will be douple. But now they put 6 bar to the inlet of booster, and outlet to air vessel is 7 bar. The maximun flow is 2000L/min.
The valve DN 50 is opened to atmosphere because it still not connect to anything, also no pressure gauge.
So can we caculate the flow of dn50 valve?
Thanks so much Rollingstein!

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate air flow using tank pressure?

The formula for calculating air flow using tank pressure is Q = V x P, where Q is the air flow rate (in cubic feet per minute), V is the tank volume (in cubic feet), and P is the tank pressure (in pounds per square inch). This formula assumes that the air is being released from the tank at atmospheric pressure.

2. Can air flow be calculated using other units besides cubic feet per minute?

Yes, air flow can also be calculated using other units such as liters per minute or cubic meters per hour. The formula may need to be adjusted depending on the units used.

3. What is the importance of calculating air flow using tank pressure?

Calculating air flow using tank pressure is important for various applications, especially in industrial and manufacturing settings. It allows for proper ventilation and air circulation, which is crucial for maintaining a safe and healthy working environment.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated air flow?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated air flow, such as changes in temperature, humidity, and air pressure. It is important to take these factors into consideration when using the formula.

5. Is there a specific tool or equipment needed to calculate air flow using tank pressure?

No, the calculation can be done using basic mathematical formulas and measurements. However, for more precise and accurate results, specialized equipment such as an anemometer or flow meter may be used.