Airflow/speed in a pipe due to pressure differentials

In summary, Bernoulli's equation and the Hagen-Poiseuille equation could be used to calculate airspeed inside of a pipe with different pressures at each end. But doing so would require making accommodations for the viscous losses.
Shayne T
I was just wondering is there any way to calculate what the airspeed would be, inside of a pipe with a known diameter and length, that lay with each end exposed to a known, different pressue than the other.

Was wondering if such a set up would be feasible for generating clean electricity by setting up a generator within the pipe that would spin due to the airflow. I am sure somebody has already thought of this and realized it was less feasible than current methods, but I was just curious, as I cannot find any information on the internet that discusses this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's equation?

Air pressure varies with altitude. Therefore every vertical pipe has a pressure difference between the ends, but the airspeed is zero.

A horizontal pipe with different pressures at each end will experience air flowing from the higher pressure to the lower pressure. But that air will flow even without the pipe. We call it wind. So drop the pipe, keep the generator, and call it wind power.

Likes Bystander
Simon Bridge said:
Bernoulli's equation?

Not if you want an accurate answer. Viscosity is important in pipes, as it is by far the most important source of pressure drop.

anorlunda said:
A horizontal pipe with different pressures at each end will experience air flowing from the higher pressure to the lower pressure. But that air will flow even without the pipe. We call it wind. So drop the pipe, keep the generator, and call it wind power.

This would be true out in the atmosphere, but there are situations where @Shayne T's idea would make a little more sense, for example, if you have two separate rooms that are generally at different pressures but need not be. You could put such a generator between them to equalize the pressures (partially) and recover some energy from the process.

Shayne T said:
I was just wondering is there any way to calculate what the airspeed would be, inside of a pipe with a known diameter and length, that lay with each end exposed to a known, different pressue than the other.

Was wondering if such a set up would be feasible for generating clean electricity by setting up a generator within the pipe that would spin due to the airflow. I am sure somebody has already thought of this and realized it was less feasible than current methods, but I was just curious, as I cannot find any information on the internet that discusses this.

You could start with the Hagen-Poiseuille equation. You could also use the Bernoulli equation as suggested by @Simon Bridge provided that you make accommodations for the viscous losses using the Darcy-Weisbach equation. That approach would also allow you to use a head loss term to represent the power extraction.

Likes Simon Bridge
... also, googling the terms will provide more insights and save typing.

What is airflow in a pipe?

Airflow in a pipe refers to the movement of air through a confined space, such as a tube or channel. This movement can be driven by pressure differentials or other forces.

How do pressure differentials affect airflow in a pipe?

Pressure differentials, or differences in air pressure between two points, can cause air to flow from an area of higher pressure to an area of lower pressure. In a pipe, this can result in air flowing from one end of the pipe to the other.

What factors can affect the speed of airflow in a pipe?

The speed of airflow in a pipe can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the pipe, the type of fluid or gas flowing through the pipe, and the pressure differentials present.

How can the speed of airflow in a pipe be measured?

The speed of airflow in a pipe can be measured using instruments such as an anemometer or a pitot tube. These tools measure the velocity of the air passing through the pipe and can be used to calculate the speed of airflow.

What are some applications of studying airflow in pipes due to pressure differentials?

Studying airflow in pipes due to pressure differentials is important in a variety of industries, such as HVAC systems, ventilation, and fluid dynamics in engineering. It can also be used in research and development for designing more efficient and effective piping systems.