Fluid dynamics: pressure in pipes

In summary, the pressure in the red pipe is lower than in the other two pipes. This is because the flow rate in the red pipe is faster than in the other two pipes. The pressure in the red and black pipes is the same, because the flow rate is the same in all three sections.
ikihi
So I've been discussing this problem with my plumber dad. I uploaded the picture.
I'm wondering if the pressure would change in the red pipe since the diameter decreases to 4 cm. Assume the 1st 10 cm pipe is full with water.

Question: If the home pressure is 517 kPa going through first pipe, would the pressure and velocity of water increase locally in the red pipe?

Attachments

• fluid flows.jpg
    fluid flows.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
ikihi said:
So I've been discussing this problem with my plumber dad. I uploaded the picture.
I'm wondering if the pressure would change in the red pipe since the diameter decreases to 4 cm. Assume the 1st 10 cm pipe is full with water.

Question: If the home pressure is 517 kPa going through first pipe, would the pressure and velocity of water increase locally in the red pipe?
The flow rate has to be the same in all 3 sections. So the speed of the fluid has to increase in the red section and then decrease in the next black section. In speeding up the fluid gains kinetic energy.

Pressure represents energy density - potential energy per unit volume. Assuming there is minimal energy loss in the pipe, the energy in the fluid must be conserved. So any gain of kinetic energy must come from a drop in pressure.

So the pressure in the red pipe is lower. This is Bernoulli's principle.

AM

Likes ikihi
Andrew Mason said:
The flow rate has to be the same in all 3 sections. So the speed of the fluid has to increase in the red section and then decrease in the next black section. In speeding up the fluid gains kinetic energy.

Pressure represents energy density - potential energy per unit volume. Assuming there is minimal energy loss in the pipe, the energy in the fluid must be conserved. So any gain of kinetic energy must come from a drop in pressure.

So the pressure in the red pipe is lower. This is Bernoulli's principle.

AM

I see. So in middle red pipe, the fluid will increase in velocity which causes less pressure on water in that pipe in the system. That's kind of funny. At first I thought there would be more pressure on the smaller pipe, but it makes sense now.

ikihi said:
I see. So in middle red pipe, the fluid will increase in velocity which causes less pressure on water in that pipe in the system. That's kind of funny. At first I thought there would be more pressure on the smaller pipe, but it makes sense now.
That's right. We tend to think of fluid confined to a smaller space as having higher pressure. But this is does not involve the compression of fluid. The density of the fluid is the same throughout the pipe system.

You can think of it this way: a pressure difference between the larger pipe and the smaller pipe is needed to accelerate the water in the smaller pipe. So the pressure in the larger pipe has to be higher. On the other end, the fluid in the smaller red section must slow down when entering the larger section, so the pressure must again be higher in the black section than in the red.

AM

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how liquids and gases move and interact with each other and their surroundings. It involves the principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to understand the behavior of fluids.

2. How is pressure measured in pipes?

Pressure in pipes is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which is a device that converts the force of the fluid into a numerical value. This value is often expressed in units of pressure such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect the pressure in pipes?

The pressure in pipes is affected by various factors such as the flow rate, viscosity of the fluid, pipe diameter, and length of the pipe. Changes in any of these factors can alter the pressure within the pipe.

4. How does fluid flow affect pressure in pipes?

As fluid flows through a pipe, it experiences friction with the walls of the pipe, which can result in a decrease in pressure. The faster the fluid flows, the greater the friction and the lower the pressure. This is known as the Bernoulli's principle.

5. What are some practical applications of fluid dynamics in pressure pipes?

Fluid dynamics in pressure pipes is used in various industries such as plumbing, HVAC systems, and chemical processing. It is also important in the design and maintenance of water distribution systems, oil pipelines, and hydraulic systems in vehicles.