Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam made of two different materials. The beam is joined at the interface and a force balance and displacement must be maintained. The normal and shear components of traction must also be continuous at each location across the interface. There is a need to calculate the stresses and strains in the beam, and there is a stress discontinuity at the interface due to the difference in beam areas. The expert suggests two approaches: 1) finding expressions for the actual stresses and then deriving an expression for the Airy stress function, or 2) finding and solving an expression for the Airy stress function and then deriving an expression for the actual stresses
Divya Shyam Singh
I have to calculate Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam made of two different material along its length.
The young's modulus of the first half is E1 and E2 for second half. The beam is made such that these materials are joined to each other one after other along its length.
At the interface, there will be a force balance and same displacement for both the beams.

How will I calculate the forces at the interface?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Divya Shyam Singh said:
I have to calculate Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam made of two different material along its length.
The young's modulus of the first half is E1 and E2 for second half. The beam is made such that these materials are joined to each other one after other along its length.
At the interface, there will be a force balance and same displacement for both the beams.

How will I calculate the forces at the interface?
The normal and shear components of the traction have to be continuous at each location across the interface.

Chestermiller said:
The normal and shear components of the traction have to be continuous at each location across the interface.
Thank you for your time.

I have done some stress calculation as a result of which i can see a stress discontinuity at the interface where beam of first material ends and the other starts. But in actual conditions there won't be any discontinuity in stress and any change in the stress will be smooth. But i have no idea at all about how to caculate the expression for stress or strain fields.
So how to approach this problem?

Divya Shyam Singh said:
Thank you for your time.

I have done some stress calculation as a result of which i can see a stress discontinuity at the interface where beam of first material ends and the other starts. But in actual conditions there won't be any discontinuity in stress and any change in the stress will be smooth. But i have no idea at all about how to caculate the expression for stress or strain fields.
So how to approach this problem?
I don't have any experience working with the Airy stress function.

Which way round is the problem ? Do you want to :

(1) Find an expression for the actual stresses in the beam and then derive an expression for the Airy stress function ?
or
(2) Find and solve an expression for the Airy stress function and then derive an expression for the actual stresses ?

Your wording suggests (1) but let's be clear on this .

Last edited:
Assuming (1)

Start by finding expressions for the shear force and bending moment at any location along the beam . Best to draw the diagrams as well .

To obtain an expression for Airy stress function at any point in the beam you will then need to derive expressions for each of σx , σy and σxy at any point in the beam .

nb: This is a 2D problem

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Assuming (1)

Start by finding expressions for the shear force and bending moment at any location along the beam . Best to draw the diagrams as well .

To obtain an expression for Airy stress function at any point in the beam you will then need to derive expressions for each of σx , σy and σxy at any point in the beam .

nb: This is a 2D problem

Thanks for your reply

I already did the first way but i am not getting a proper result.
I would like to add one more detail to the problem. The areas of the two beams are different. Because of this, there will be a discontinuity in stresses at the interface however the force would be same. So i feel that there will be a redistribution of stresses of some sort, I am not sure.

How can i solve this problem taking into account the redistribution of stress?

Nidum said:
(2) Find and solve an expression for the Airy stress function and then derive an expression for the actual stresses ?
Also, please do explain the method for (2)

Divya Shyam Singh said:
The areas of the two beams are different

If you have a beam of one section joined end on to a beam of a different section then there could be a very complicated stress pattern in the transition area between the two beams .

What do you actually know about the two beam sections ?

Nidum said:
If you have a beam of one section joined end on to a beam of a different section then there could be a very complicated stress pattern in the transition area between the two beams .

What do you actually know about the two beam sections ?
We know the Youngs modulus and all the dimensions of the beam. We know the force applied. We have to find airy's stress function, stresses, strains and displacement functions. If i could solve for stress, i would be able to solve for the rest of them.

Please do a proper drawing of the connection zone between the two beams sections and post it for us to discuss .

By treating the total beam as two series connected cantilever beams you should be able to get the stress, shear and deflection data you need for your final calculation.

twobeams PF.jpg

I've processed your sketch to make it a bit clearer .

Realistically I don't see how you can properly obtain the stress distribution at the junction of the two beams without using numerical methods .

Just to get an approximation you could assume some distance either side of the joint where the beam stresses revert to having a simple distribution and then sketch in best guess for distribution in the transition area .

There will be a stress concentration to consider in the corner of that abrupt step .

One thing bothers me a little :

The original problem was relatively simple - do you really need to add in all this complexity to give an answer at a level consistent with the question ??

Nidum said:
One thing bothers me a little :

The original problem was relatively simple - do you really need to add in all this complexity to give an answer at a level consistent with the question ??
Yes, actually this is the actual problem i am working on. Thanks for your help so far.
I have assumed that the stress at the beam interface with larger area will be the same as the beam with smaller area. After going the distance equal to its thickness(according to St, Venant principle), the stress in the beam with larger area will become equal to the stress calculated by the basic beam equations.
There will be no change in stress distribution in the beam of the smaller area.
The reason for this assumption is that if we change stress distribution in the beam with smaller area, the moment of these stresses are not coming to be equal to the moment at that section. So i assumed that there will be no stress change in the beam with smaller area.
Is my assumption correct?

Because the shear and bending force profiles for the beam are independent of the beam sections' size and modulus, I recommend determining the magnitude of those profiles with your applied end load and then using those to calculate the bending and shear stresses for each beam segment based upon its size and its modulus. The bending moment and shear force profiles for the beam will be continuous throughout its length but there will be a discontinuity in the M/EI and stress profiles at the junction of the two beam segments based upon each segment's height and modulus.

If you can get access to a copy of "Mechanics of Materials" by E.P Popov, there is a discontinuous beam analysis example in Chapter 11 of that textbook illustrating this.

JBA said:
Because the shear and bending force profiles for the beam are independent of the beam sections' size and modulus, I recommend determining the magnitude of those profiles with your applied end load and then using those to calculate the bending and shear stresses for each beam segment based upon its size and its modulus. The bending moment and shear force profiles for the beam will be continuous throughout its length but there will be a discontinuity in the M/EI and stress profiles at the junction of the two beam segments based upon each segment's height and modulus.

If you can get access to a copy of "Mechanics of Materials" by E.P Popov, there is a discontinuous beam analysis example in Chapter 11 of that textbook illustrating this.
Thanks a lot! :D

Yes, upto some degree. I managed to calculated the stress field at every position of the beam. However there will be some highly non linear stress field in the vicinity of the interface. I am pondering about the same, how to calculate the non linear stress near the interface...
any thoughts?

Basic variable section beam theory does not help you solve this problem at all .

As I said in post #14 :
Nidum said:
Realistically I don't see how you can properly obtain the stress distribution at the junction of the two beams without using numerical methods .

Just to get an approximation you could assume some distance either side of the joint where the beam stresses revert to having a simple distribution and then sketch in best guess for distribution in the transition area .

There will be a stress concentration to consider in the corner of that abrupt step .

Let us look at the approximation method first .

Start by drawing out the joint area of the two beam sections neatly and large size on graph paper . Sketch in you best guess of the stress distribution .

The change at the interface is instantaneous with the stress profile having a vertical line at the interface. It is as though there are two individual beams connected in series at that junction.

1. What is Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam?

Airy's stress function is a mathematical tool used in the field of elasticity to represent the state of stress in a cantilever beam. It is a function of the coordinates of the beam and is used to calculate the stresses and displacements within the beam.

2. How is Airy's stress function derived for a cantilever beam?

The Airy's stress function is derived by solving the governing equations of elasticity, which include the equations of equilibrium, compatibility, and constitutive laws. In the case of a cantilever beam, the boundary conditions are used to simplify the equations and solve for the stress function.

3. What are the advantages of using Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam?

One advantage of using Airy's stress function is that it simplifies the calculations for stress and displacement by reducing the number of variables involved. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the stress and displacement patterns within the beam.

4. Are there any limitations to using Airy's stress function for a cantilever beam?

Airy's stress function assumes certain boundary conditions and material properties, so it may not accurately represent the behavior of a cantilever beam with complex geometries or non-linear material properties. It is also limited to linear elastic behavior, so it cannot be used for beams with large deformations or inelastic materials.

5. How is Airy's stress function used in practical applications?

Airy's stress function is used in the analysis and design of cantilever beams in engineering applications. It helps engineers determine the stresses and deformations within the beam and ensure that it can withstand the applied loads. It is also used in the design of other structures, such as plates and shells, where the same governing equations of elasticity apply.